Bad flush w/no vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedbump

Reaction score
The update

Finally found a Toto in black from a local supplier. Installed and tested. It still does not flush like a toilet should, but it is 9 to 10 times better than the old low flow toilet I took off.

I'm sure this system has some problems, like roots from the Hugh oak tree that is next to the 3" line leading to the septic, and the fact that there was no vent installed other than the hole I put in the line outside the building.

So, in conclusion, I am very pleased with the Toto's flushing ability as opposed to the old unit and must say it was well worth the investment.

The only regret was not being able to do business with Terry. He has the same problem with shipping I have. And porcelain breaks so easily.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Here's another update:

The Toto was better but not better enough. So the wife and I spent Mothers day digging up the 3" pipe just outside the wall of the bathroom. Then 40 feet north of that pipe is the tank and we dug up the pipe where it enters the tank. I took a hand level and a tape measure, (an old trick used by surveyors) and discovered the pipe at the tank was 4.5" higher than the pipe at the building. Now I have always heard that certain things do not run uphill.

I think we have solved the mystery. I cut the pipe just outside the building before digging the second hole at the tank to see if the problem was under the building or beyond. Wow, does that Toto flush. Man--- Whooooooosh, the waters gone. It's amazing. And all this time, I thought the bowl was supposed to fill all the way to the top. I'm all done bad mouthing low flow toilets. I don't see how you would ever have to flush this one three times to get the job done.

Now I have to figure out how to fix the problem. Lower the back yard maybe!

bob...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

raising the yard wouldn't help. You have three options.
1. Lower the septic system.
2. Raise the house.
3. Raise the plumbing system in the house.
You do not want to do option #4, lower the opening into the septic tank, because that could affect the overall operation of the tank.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
One more method, since the tank is too high, would be to run the lower plumbing into a basin with a pump.

My brothers last two home in Spokane have done this.
The upper floor goes out by gravity, and he pumps the lower floor.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I like HJ's idea better Terry. Raising the house. I know if I put a pump in, lightning would take it out at least once a year. And, I don't have the stomach to change it out.

Did I ever tell you the story about the two big ladies that brought a sewage pump in my shop set it up on the counter (yes still dripping) and wanted me to; not replace it, but repair it.
After my wife got out of the bathroom and I politely as possible asked the ladies to take their pump back to their truck... well that's enough of that.

Who was it that mentioned the old Camaro on blocks, toilets backed up and not two nickels to rub together? Well, after a lot of digging, we now have a 220 gallon aerator buried and connected to that 3" pipe. It is upside down so as to have an open bottom in very good draining sand. With the little usage this toilet gets, I hope it will last a lifetime. And that Toto still goes Swooooosh.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks