Choosing New Toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

allora

Reaction score
I too am choosing toilets and need some help. I need small, European looking toilets and am considering TOTO AQUIA and KOHLER PERSUADE. Looks wise I prefer the Kohler but there seems to be no Kohler fans here. Any help/info is appreciated. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Kohler seems to have the not-invented-here syndrom...they like to do everything themselves. This means that the only place you can go for parts is them, in most cases. Their parts book looks like a phone book, and because there are so many variations, few stock them, sometimes, even the factory, so you have to wait for them to build one. If you are lucky, maybe days downtime, but it could be weeks or longer.

Toto is the largest manufacturer of toilets in the WORLD...they make things in large quanties, and if they get it wrong, it is very costly. Personal experience is they do their engineering, pick a good design, then go with it - they rarely get it wrong. Plus, the things like fill valves, and flappers, they use parts that are generally available and common, so they are stocked locally.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Kohler seems to have the not-invented-here syndrom...they like to do everything themselves. This means that the only place you can go for parts is them, in most cases. Their parts book looks like a phone book, and because there are so many variations, few stock them, sometimes, even the factory, so you have to wait for them to build one. If you are lucky, maybe days downtime, but it could be weeks or longer.

Jadnashua said it a lot more diplomaticly than I would! Why any manufacturer can design a toilet using a Rube Goldberg looking contraption like the one pictured below then have the guts (I'm really thinking of another word here) to rape the customer for $431.50 for a replacement parts and still have any customers is beyond me! I too have experienced a 1 month wait for a proprietary part from Kohler...

kohlerpn30669.jpg

If Kohler was the only toilet manufacturer I'd use a bucket in my house!:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks