(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing New Toilets

Toto Soiree

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermonkey View Post
    Hi Everyone,

We're restoring a 1910 bungalow. Need a toilet that will help keep our water usage down (so that we can continue to use original septic system) that will also look good in a traditional bathroom. The other fixtures are an original clawfoot tub, and the St. Thomas Creations Liberty pedestal sink. We've ordered the kohler Memoirs round-bowl toilet, but now I'm wondering if we're going to regret this decision in the long run. Anyone have any suggestions, or experience with the Memoirs toilet?
    I don't know anything about those particular fixtures, but I have a Toto Soiree which has sort of a classic look to it. It has Toto's new "double cyclone" bowl wash which i HIGHLY recommend.
    Last edited by Terry; 05-20-2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: added picture

Thanks for the suggestions-we'll check them out.

any color match issues with the st thomas creations and toto fixtures?

Now we're thinking of going with either the Toto Dartmouth or the Clayton. Problem is we already have a 10" rough in. Can we buy the unifit adapter to change the rough-in on these as well? Also, do either of these come in a round bowl, and if not, is the elongated bowl an issue with keeping it clean?

Toto Clayton
    Last edited by Reader Review; 05-14-2009 at 05:17 PM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Dartmouth and Clayton need 11-1/4" to work.
    Toto with the Unifit, and be used with a 10" Unifit.
    Guinevere
    Soiree
    Carrollton

TOTO Guinevere

CST774S TOTO Carrollton
    Last edited by Terry; 03-21-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Default choosing new toilets

I too am choosing toilets and need some help. I need small, European looking toilets and am considering TOTO AQUIA and KOHLER PERSUADE. Looks wise I prefer the Kohler but there seems to be no Kohler fans here. Any help/info is appreciated. Thanks.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Kohler seems to have the not-invented-here syndrom...they like to do everything themselves. This means that the only place you can go for parts is them, in most cases. Their parts book looks like a phone book, and because there are so many variations, few stock them, sometimes, even the factory, so you have to wait for them to build one. If you are lucky, maybe days downtime, but it could be weeks or longer.

Toto is the largest manufacturer of toilets in the WORLD...they make things in large quanties, and if they get it wrong, it is very costly. Personal experience is they do their engineering, pick a good design, then go with it - they rarely get it wrong. Plus, the things like fill valves, and flappers, they use parts that are generally available and common, so they are stocked locally.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Kohler seems to have the not-invented-here syndrom...they like to do everything themselves. This means that the only place you can go for parts is them, in most cases. Their parts book looks like a phone book, and because there are so many variations, few stock them, sometimes, even the factory, so you have to wait for them to build one. If you are lucky, maybe days downtime, but it could be weeks or longer.
    Jadnashua said it a lot more diplomaticly than I would! Why any manufacturer can design a toilet using a Rube Goldberg looking contraption like the one pictured below then have the guts (I'm really thinking of another word here) to rape the customer for $431.50 for a replacement parts and still have any customers is beyond me! I too have experienced a 1 month wait for a proprietary part from Kohler...

If Kohler was the only toilet manufacturer I'd use a bucket in my house!