Maximum length of duct for bathroom fan

Users who are viewing this thread

Douche

Reaction score
I have a small bathroom (less than 80 sq feet). I am installing an exhaust fan on the ceiling in my upstairs bathroom. I prefer to vent the duct out the attic wall rather than the roof. The wall is approximately 15 feet from the location of the exhaust fan. My question is there a maximum duct work distance or is there a certain cfm fan or fan speed I need to blow open the vent at 15 feet? I plan on using flexible metal duct.

Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is no regulation on this. 15 feet is not excessive. Based on 6 air changes per hour, a 70 CFM fan would be "adequate". I always prefer to use 100 or 110 CFM even for a small room like your. This will minimize any problems with mold and mildew. Spend the extra $$$ and get a unit with a maximum sone rating of 1.0 You will live with the noise of this fan for many years, so it is worth a few bucks to go quiet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks