Price Pfister Flowmaster flowmatic repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Bimwad

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm preparing to replace the cartridge for a ~30-year old Price Pfister Flowmaster shower faucet.

Thanks to the net and a couple threads here, I've found and procured the part -- PP#900-022, though it's not longer documented on PP's site in any form.

It came with the valve, a gasket, three screws, and a small dowel. My baggie is missing a screw, but I guess I can still use one of the originals.

Not having disassembled the old one yet, I assume that the plastic dowel fits into the hole in the valve, tapered end first, gear end out.

My question, I suppose, is how I should try to dislodge the old valve that has been in place for such a long time? I removed all the screws and it wouldn't budge, so I'm inclined to just use a big set of pliers and twist or lever it off. Is this advisable, or is there a better method?

I'm used to working on cars, so I'm not mechanically incompetent, just not used to working on plumbing. Plus, I don't particularly want to have to keep the water shut off to the entire house for a period if I botch this.

Any tips? The old thread I found seems to imply that his job may not be quite as simple as it appears.

TIA.

PS- based on the local availability of PP parts, I'd never choose to install one of their products if the opportunity arose.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If all the screws are out, it is just stuck to the cork gasket. Hopefully no one used permatex or something on it!. You could tap it GENTLY with a hammer. If it was sealed on, you will have to do some careful cleanup work on the body before installing the new one. I never put anything on the cork gasket.

By the way, I hope you have turned off the water main before removing the screws.

pp_flowmatic_900-022.jpg

Flow-matic 900-0220

Last edited by a moderator:

Bimwad

Reaction score
Thanks, it wasn't sealed on, just stuck on for the better part of 35 years.

A big pair of channellocks too care of it without much effort, though I did get a bit of a bath since I forgot to relieve the water pressure.

I did have to clean up the body a bit, but everything seems to work now; thankfully, the new valve wasn't defective.

Now I just have to recaulk the rest of the shower to complete the job.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks