replacing lateral pipe from house to street?

Users who are viewing this thread

harveymasons

Reaction score
I am located in NJ and was wondering how much it would cost just ballparkfigure, to replace my lateral pipe which runs from my house to the city street tie in. The run is approx. 50 ft. and is a good 10 ft under my lawn and runs undermy sidewalk as well :(

Also, I believe the diameter is 3 inches, what is the average diameter of the city's main line which runs under my street?

I have been having continuous backups every month or so, and cannot figure out why. First time it happened I paid 200 dollars to have it snaked out. I eventually bought a 75 ft. power drum snake at home depot that I have been using when it backs up now. Every time it backs up I snake itout and I can feel the snake push something through so I think it is on my side and before it hits the street.

I am thinking to next time measure where the clog is, mark it on the snake w/ a piece of tape, then go outside with the snake and pull the snake out to see right where the clog is occuring.( the clean out that I snake out is right on the front right corner of my basement so I can go outside and be able to measure on my lawn where this is happening.

ANy thoughts or ideas would be great.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Before undertaking such a costly project, it would be a good idea to spend a few hundred and have a camera run through the line to specifically identify your problems.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The replacement could run anywhere from $$1,000.00 - $4,000.00 in the extreme. Follow jimbos advice and get it cameraed. You may only need a repair. Do you have a tree about at the point that you feel the clog?

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
FYI, That is not called a lateral, its the building drain. The lateral is the connecting point that joins the building drain to the city. Why don't you call and get three estimates, local plumbers would know more so than plumbers located in other areas.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I certainly agree about getting at least 3 estimates from your local folks. One thing that will really raise the ante is the amount of digging and problems that might be connected with the digging like gas mains, etc.. I'd sure want to be damn sure the line need replacing before just having at it.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Three things will rule the prices quoted. Distance of the replacement which we know to be about 50'. How deep it is. And the prevailing rates in your area.

A friend did a 33' replacement to the tap. The line which was 3' deep ran 15' then 45ed down 18' to the tap in (lateral). He did not have the line cameraed/located and had to get a bigger back hoe to finish the job.
A much more expensive job than he thought.

harveymasons

Reaction score
update

Hi guys, thanks again for all the responses,

Believe it or not my township offered to come out and put a camera in the cleanout free of charge. I figured I'd call them and explain the problem to see if they can offer any tips and they said we will comeout and put a camera in!! I Said that would be GREAT!

SO.... Turns out @ around 20 ft in and 30 ft. in I have LOTS of grease build up on the walls of my pipe, so while a snake may clear it a bit there is still alot that I guess contiunues to collect. OTher then that the line is pretty clean, no breaks or anything.

So, my next question is I need to find a company that can come in w/ a device that has the capability to reall get at the walls like a high pressure snake that can clean the pipe walls.

This is not the job of your average power snake, can anyone suggest what this is called and or what kind of company will do this??

again thanks for all the help.

regards,
Harvey

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There are some foaming root killers that work well that can be bought online for about $50.00 or so.

Root X

Roebic Foaming Root Killer

harveymasons

Reaction score
HI Cass,

Roots are a non issue as there are no trees in the area at all. This is basically a build up of grease/sludge/soap on the walls of the wipe.

I suppose if it will kill roots it should also remove grease/soap sludge too??

thx again,
harvey

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If it is just buildup you should be able to have someone with a corectly sized blade remove it. If it keeps returning you have another problem.

RRW

Reaction score
The outfit that did some lining of Orangeburg under my addition had a gizmo called a Wolverine which was like a section of chain saw chain. It would eat up just about anything that is not rock or metal.

harveymasons

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Can I buy bigger attachments for my snake such as a 4" cutter, as my pipe is a 4" diameter pipe.

thx,
harvey

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Using the proper head, you should be able to scour the pipe pretty clean from what I read...a small snake may not have enough power to do it. If you have the documentation, you might want to check. It might be time for a rental unit or a pro. Stop pouring cooking grease down the drain, too :) .

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Your machine and cable is to small to do the job.

I don't think they even make a 4" cutter head for that size cable.

Most rental places that I know of don't have what is needed.

You may need to call someone.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
How about a few bottles of Dawn Dish soap and those widgets you put on your hose and they expand and seal to the pipe size and have a high pressure spray? Wait....this might be dumb... :)

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks