Shower pan losing water, but not leaking...

Users who are viewing this thread

plumbbob

Reaction score
I tried the shower pan balloon trick, and the water level dropped about half overnight. BUT, there's no sign of water anywhere below!

Could it be that balloon is not sealing the drain properly? I used the long thin kind they use to make balloon animals...

Thanks, Matt

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
balloon

There is no way you could blow that balloon up with the pressure needed to seal the drain. That is not the kind of "balloon" we use to plug a drain. The ones we use require 30+ psi of air.

plumbbob

Reaction score
Doh!

Well, don't I seem foolish!

So now I have 299 of those balloons left, I guess I'll need to start booking kids parties and making balloon bunnies!

I'm off to the store for the right product...Matt

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Then I don't think your pan is leaking..........

You may have a caulking problem....or some one is letting water out onto the floor and then it takes the path of least resistance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The people over on www.johnbridge.com use them all of the time. Properly done, they don't leak overnight - literally hundreds of people have done it and it works. Course, most of those are new installations, so there probably isn't any crud on the walls of the drain that higher pressure would resolve and get a better seal. If there is a bunch of crud, then even a "proper" plug may not work, either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks