Moving washer and sink... DWV question

Users who are viewing this thread

AMP

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm getting ready to remodel a laundry room and am planning to move the washer from its present position. Here's a brief description:

East wall: 2" waste pipe w/ 1.5" vent approximately 2 ft from the north wall (this is the existing sink and washer hookup).

I would like to install the washer on the north wall approximately 5 feet from the east wall. in the northeast corner of the room I would like to install a 20x24 laundry tub.

Here are the questions:

1) Can I install the 2" stand pipe for the washer and the sink drain on the same 2" line inside the wall? I would need to make a 90 degree turn from the north wall to the east wall and then tie into the existing stack.

2) Would this 7' length of drain line be OK if all fixtures are wet vented through the existing 1.5" vent in the east wall.

3) Would I be better off with something like this:

..............VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV turn 90 deg and then 2' to 1.5" vent
washer.....V...............V
D.............V...............V
Ptrap.DDDDDDDDDDD.sink.DDDDDD. turn 90 deg and then 2' to stack

D = drain pipe
V = vent pipe
(ignore the dots... they were needed to make everything line up)

Obviously the horizontal run of vent would be above 42" and all lines would slope appropriately. I would maintain the vertical connection between the stack and vent line

I guessing that the drawing above is the way to go...

Thanks for any insight!
-Andrew

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm a little confused.

The vent for the washer must be within 5 feet of the p-trap.
The vent for the laundry trap must be within 42".

both vents can tie together higher up, six inches above the washer drain.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Even if we could figure out what all the D's, V's, and dots meant, it would still not help us until we saw exactly how you would install the piping. The physical layout of the laundry and sink is not the problem. Any problem would be in how you actually ran the piping. It can be done "legally" and it can also be done improperly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks