So how hard is it to install the toilet flange for my new bathroom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
no problem

Dont move that wall out 4 inches.....

Just take a chain saw and cut those pesky joysts

right out of the way......

then its clear sailing with a can of glue and some PVC fittings....

just kidding

seriousley

installing a toilet falnge is pretty easy.....

cut a hole in the wood tothe right size and simply screw it

down into place.....

the rest is just the pvc glue, hack saw, and pipe..

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A flange is pretty simple to install, assuming you are talking pvc or abs. The skills to do a cast iron one are greater along with the tools required.

The flange should sit on top of the finished floor and be fastened firmly through and to it. Leave the vertical pipe long through the floor, cap it, finish the floor around it, leaving enough room to slide the flange over the pipe (if 3" - no gap required if 4" since you can get an internal flange vs an external one for 3"). When ready, cut off the pipe to the proper height so the flange will seat fully and sit flat on the floor, prime things, then cement, then slide it on making sure the toilet bolts are in the proper orientation. You are almost done. Then, screw it down using either stainless steel or brass screws so they don't end up rusted out sometime down the road.

Lithnights

Reaction score
Thanks all. That gives me the confidence to do it myself. I recall reading so many posts sayin "call a plumber in" when it comes to flanges, but I seem to think that was in reference to dealing with cast iron flanges already in place.

THAT I wouldn't mess with.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Mikey,

Can you take out the wobbles with some plastic shims? Plastic funnel do-dad should prevent leaks in your case. (I tried one of those once. Leaked. Then I used the tried-and-true wax ring w/o any problems!)

Jason

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that -- I just bought some plastic shims yesterday at HD -- first time I'd seen them there. Looks like they'll do the job. Also, I think Terry hit the nail on the head in another forum, where he said that some wax rings with horns get in the way when the flange is a little high. I'm going to go with the shims for now and try a non-horned ring the next time I reset the toilet. (Wife is holding up wallpaper samples in the bathroom now -- a bad sign.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks