Need some help with possible J trap height issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

siberian

Reaction score
Hello, I am doing a kitchen remodel. The sink we installed is a single bowl 11" deep, and we also added a dishwasher, which there was previously no dishwasher.

By adding the deeper sink and also now having to use one of those tail pieces with the side inlet for the dishwasher drain hose, the J-trap is now several inches lower than it used to be... probably 7 inches.

Now when I install the J-trap, I have to put a riser about 6" long on the end of the "J" to get back up to the horizontal drain pipe. Effectly, instead of a "J", I now have more like a "U" trap. Now the inlet at the bottom of the sink strainer is still about 1.5" higher than the outlet where it 90's into the stub in teh wall, so it still is a "J", but not by much.

What I am noticing is that when I fill the sink with water, it drains very slow. Barring an obstructions in the line, is there a possibility that the water is having a hard time overcoming the height of that riser after the bottom of teh "J" bend and causing the slow drainage? Is there a formula for the minimum height difference between the bottom of the sink and the height of the sanitary Tee coming out of the wall?

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
what you have is a "p" trap, not a "j" trap (I know it looks like a j, but with a little imagination its a p...dont ask. lol)

Yes your sink is draining slowly because of the extra riser at the outlet of the trap. This will increase your chances of clogging...well, its going to be a sure bet. This is a more and more commonly occurring event with everyone replacing their standard depth sinks with deep bowl sinks. The guys in the orange or blue aprons didnt tell you about that did they?

What needs to be done is to get inside the wall and lower the fixture arm Yes, for a DIY homeowner it can be a pain in the dexterior...in fact there are times its a pain for a plumber too, but its what needs to be done to remedy your problem.

good luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks