Replacing tub faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

rurulesunc

Reaction score
Hello all.

I just moved into an apartment and am trying to add a tub spout with a diverter instead of the one there now that doesnt have the diverter. My problem is that the old spout is so old and (I assume) corroded that I cant get it off. There is no set screw that is visible. I have tried using a screwdriver to get leverage and then bought a pipe wrench out of deperation. The pipe wrench just bent the existing spout.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this thing off the wall?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
ruru,

Your current tub spout has no diverter? Is it a tub only or tub + shower? How is the shower activated now? What do you hope to achieve by adding a diverter if there isn't one in place now?

Typically there are threads inside the spout that engage with a pipe that goes into the wall. If you are replacing the spout, and are OK with destroying the current one, you have options. Take some big channel locks (slip joint pliers or water pump pliers) or a pipe wrench, grip it and twist the spout. Something will give. Or put a thick wood dowel into the spout and use it as a lever to unscrew the spout. It's possible you may also damage something inside the wall while doing this, and you're into a bigger project.

If you're not comfortable with the risk of damage to the spout or inside the wall, call a plumber and have him do it. Probably one hour's worth of work and $100 max.

reed-pliers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rurulesunc

Reaction score
Thanks Chassis.

Yeah right now the apartment only has a tub and I want to add a spout with a diverter to convert it into a shower. Since its an apartment I cant do any work inside the wall, only cosmetic changes but I have gotten the ok to add the diverter and a shower head with a long cord that connects.

I think its time to call a plumber I was just trying to avoid the cost but better safe than sorry I guess. I dont want to break anything in the wall.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Often, the walls around a tub only system are NOT waterproofed. Adding a shower may destroy the walls and tile that are there now.

Most divertor tub spouts do not have a hose connection for a shower...they expect the valve in the wall to handle that. Might be tough to find.

rurulesunc

Reaction score
I already have the diverter with the conection that I need and the shower head to go with it. The wall issue is one that I havent thought about.

I know that the wall that the shower would attach to is tiled to shower height but I havent paid attention to the side wall. I guess I could always get another shower curtain to put on that side to protect the wall if it isnt waterproofed.

hmmm

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
ruru,

Just because one of the walls is tiled does not mean it is waterproof. The grout is porous, and water will get between the tiles. If the proper tile adhesive (thinset) was not used, and the wall properly waterproofed, the entire wall will turn to mush. Not sure there is any way to verify how the wall was built without tearing into it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks