AS Champion Toilet Rebuttal

Users who are viewing this thread

denali

Reaction score
I also had a recent problem with the seal in the tank of the Champion (purchased in May 2004) leaking which caused the every 30 second fill up and after reading some of your post was not looking forward to dealing with American Standard. I can honestly say it was one of the most pleasant experiences I've had dealing with a vendor. I called and got right through and informed them of my purchase in 2004 and the leaking and re-filling problem. They asked if it was leaking onto the floor and I said no. They said it was the orange gasket and would send me 2 in the mail within a week. I had them in 3 days and by disconneting the chain from the plunger and pulling off the old seal, I simply slipped the new one on and into the slot at the base. When I reattached the chain I put it on the last bead to make it longer which was a tip they gave to reduce the "clunking" sound. That was a week ago and it's working perfectly. I love this toilet and while I do admit I've had zero problems with a Kolher I bought at the same time I also think any first generation product is bound to have some bugs. I'd much rather have a bit of a loud flush than have to plunge. American Standard responded wonderfully to my complaint so I'm not sure what is up with everyone else but let's be fair here.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Oh.......it's fair. You are just one out a few hundred thousand that didn't have plumbing service calls that cost you money for the repair. Or, the constant problems this toilet has. See, you are lucky, you can fix your own toilet. Majority of users cannot, therefore they spend spend spend to have the trained hands to repair them.

That, is fair. Fair to allow those who cannot fix their own toilets the right to complain that a brand new toilet shouldn't be riddled with ongoing problems. You should not have to call the mfg. of the toilet you purchase within a short period of time to make it work. Product design is to blame on these; too many little parts and a copycat of the mansfield 210 tower flush.

Hundreds of toilets are sat on and used every day with the user never knowing of its brand name or how it even works. All they know is that the plumber put it in and it works without error.

Consider yourself lucky you have the time to chase the 1-800 telethon to fix a prototype toilet that is riddled with problems. Keep it honest and keep it real and post when this toilet fails again. Don't cross your fingers, shouldn't have to if it is a "good" toilet.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
RUGGED, you must not have many customers.

Every time I see you your just hanging around pounding on that bell.

Reaction score
Friendly to supply parts that don't fix problem

American Standard service has been friendly on the phone to me too. They sent me a new tower after it broke within 2 months of purchase and they sent me a new red seal after I called and told them the toilet would not stop leaking.

Unfortunately, friendly hasn't made up for the fact that the red seal they sent me did not stop the leak. They sent me another one and guess what that didn't work either.

The leak continues and the toilet refills every 4 to 6 hours. I just can't believe this company cannot come up with a fix that works.

I wonder if any of these toilets work. Perhaps most owners don't even realize their toilet is leaking. I didn't discover mine leaked for a couple months since it's not one of our main toilets. I just happened to notice it one day refilling on its own and then I tested it with food coloring in the tank and sure enought it was leaking. As I said the new seals they sent me have had no effect.

I suggest everyone that does not think their AmSt is leaking put some dye or food coloring in the tank and see if you reaches the bowl. If it does you have leak. Call American Standard and tell them to cut the friendly out and just have their engineers fix the problem.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Take the toilet back to the store you bought it from and demand your money back.

It's kinda like driving down the road at night and you see a possum cross the road in front of you and BA-BUMP! you hit the possum and even though you slowed down, you hit the animal.

Noticing that it is severely injured, it is only right to "finish the job" and run it over to put it out of its misery.

You need to do this to your toilet, otherwise you'll become that injured possum on the road. Nobody gonna save ya until you get rid of it. :D :p

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks