PVC for main line

Users who are viewing this thread

teal854t

Reaction score
Hi
I'm redoing my pipe main line from meter to the house. I like to know if I can use PVC sch 40 or sch 80 for it? How deep do I need to dig? It's about 20 feet long with 1" pipe. I'm in S. California, Los Angeles.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
For a 20' run I would use K copper reguardles of where you live. Your local codes will dictate the depth.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

In most areas you have to use at least a 5' piece of copper at the building and at the water meter, so it makes absolutely no sense to use PVC for the small intermediate section. Besides taking more time to make the connections, the male PVC thread into a female copper fitting will frequently crack due to settling or other stress. I never use PVC for anything less than 100' since up to that length I can use a single piece of copper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks