(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: removing 4'' cast iron stack

Default removing 4'' cast iron stack

I,m remodeling my first floor bathroom, I want to remove a 4'' cast iron pipe and replace it with pvc and reduce the size if I could. This is from the bathroom floor up to the roof, there's no other connection on the pipe..The only fixtures I have are sink, shower and toilet...that are connected in the basement..attached is somewhat of my existing DWV design....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking cast iron

go rent a rigid cast iron cutter and
    have at it.....

alll you got ot do is is snap it off in sections....

but it is rather heavy so be careful

Why do you want ot do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Cass
    Why do you want ot do this?
    I need to reposition my toilet and this wye is up against the baseboard I need to replace ....I really don't what to mess with that cast iron, I don't think I have another option....If I do remove this pipe, what size can I use?

If you remove the cast iron stack, you need to clamp it to the upper floors so that when you cut it loose it doesn't come down on top of you. It is extremely heavy and takes some serious clamps. Do not be under it when you cut it.

You can reduce the 4" vent portion of the pipe only if you have other vents going through the roof. The cross section of your vents need to be equal to or greater than your largest waste pipe. So, if you have a 4" pipe entering your house, you need a 4" going out the roof or a 3", 2" and 2", etc.

Quote Originally Posted by finnegan
    You can reduce the 4" vent portion of the pipe only if you have other vents going through the roof. The cross section of your vents need to be equal to or greater than your largest waste pipe. So, if you have a 4" pipe entering your house, you need a 4" going out the roof or a 3", 2" and 2", etc.
    THANKS FINNEGAN,tk2