reverse osmosis drain help

Users who are viewing this thread

mini bike man

Reaction score
Hi there. Please help. Im halfway into installing a GE R.O and I have a single drain with a disposer and cant figure how to run drain line.Instructions say not to install drain down flow from disposer. Do i need to install a whole new p trap for the drain. Any Help? PLEASE

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You will have to install a new 2 hole sink or eliminate the garbage disposal.

Do you have a utility sink in the basement?

You could run the line to the sink and let it drip in to it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I believe the GE unit comes with a special funky fitting to connect the drain tube to, but that fitting is not readily usable in the average kitchen sink.

The reason they don't want it down stream of the disposer is that the drain inlet opening is so small, it easily clogs with debris. Then, you get air-gap overflow at the base of the tap spout.

There is no easy answer without completely rearranging your undersink piping. You could just live with it, and when a backup occurs, just disassemble for cleaning.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is potable water, just slightly more concentrated. You might be able to mount a small faucet on your kitchen sink, connect the RO waste tube to the supply of that faucet, and leave the faucet open.

Another solution would be to add a small water feature to your kitchen sink area and have the RO waste supply it, with the overflow trickling into the kitchen sink. Possibilities include a small dish with a fake toad, or maybe a Chia hippo or turtle half immersed in a miniature lake.

"Who needs a dog or cat when you can own a Chia Pet®? Available in popular Bunny, Frog, Hippo, Kitten, Pig, Puppy, Turtle, as well as the new Chia Head®."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks