Sewage backing up - please help!

Users who are viewing this thread

jennyriver

Reaction score
for the past few months, it seems that our toilets have been getting clogged more often than usual. i am home during the day with my 2yo so i notice it and am often the one plunging. we are on a city sewer system and have an ejector pump - please forgive my lack of knowledge here but i'll explain what i do know. we live uphill of a wetland and so, as far as i know, we have the ejector pump to get our sewage up and out into the street sewers...right? we have 3 bathrooms - one in the basement (which is actually a walkout but the bathroom itself is located below ground level). for the past 6 years of living here, the ejector pump goes on and off, but in certain locations of our house, sounds EXTREMELY loud...a huge BANG sounds when it finished running. anyway, a few weeks ago, my husband and i were sleeping at night and the pump went off as usual (it goes off late at night because we have a water softener which is set to run then) and we heard gurgling in the toilet. then smelled sewage. it had backed up into our toilet (bedroom one - closest to the street) and shower. he plunged and cleaned and declared the problem fixed...said it was a clog and that he should've fixed it. well, last night, he noticed the water level in our hall bathroom was low (this one is in the middle of the house, above ground) which has been a common problem lately, and he flushed...that toilet overflowed, and some pipes below it leaked into our basement...at 1st, we though it had leaked through the floor but it was actually coming out of pipes there. some also came up into the bathtub in that same bathroom and some wetness was around the bottom of the toilet in the bedroom. off he went for soem Draino and, again, proclaimed it fixed. tonight, i was doing laundry when i heard gurgling from the bathtub, which had sewage in it...and by the time i got downstairs, it was leaking out of the pipes (above my head) again. also, our bedroom shower was full of sewage.

my husband has an ex-plumber friend who told him to open some pipes to look for a clog...he did, and some water and junk came out...nothing big. he says he can see that it's clogged beyond our basement foundation wall. but here's the thing...we have a lot of trees around us...we don't flush anything except toilet paper down there, and i just got over the stomach flu which meant A LOT of flushing in the past few days. i am worried he is just thinking this is a clog and will not get it fixed properly and my 2yo and i can't live here like this. it seems as though this problem has been getting worse and worse and trying to suggest anything to him is laughable to him. he doesn't think i know what i'm talking about and to be fair, i don't...but neither does he. does ANYONE have a clue what could be wrong? busted pipes? do we need it rooted out? i know a couple of years ago someone came and sucked some junk out of a pipe/hole we have next to the driveway that i thought was connected to the ejector pump but when i mention that now (as in, could it be that?) he just gets annoyed.

anyone? please?

THANKS!!!! :confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The sewage accumulates in a covered pit, probably in the basement, and when it gets high enough in the pit, the pump turns on and moves it out high enough to flow down into the sewer by the street. The clunk you hear may be a check valve (a one-way valve to prevent what you pumped out from falling back into the pit in the house). If the check valve is not doing its job, sewage from the street could possibly back up into the house and then up into your fixtures from their drains. Normally, this should not happen, since the sewer should not be under pressure at the street, and the check valve normally prevents stuff from getting back into the house anyways.

But, if the line is plugged, weird things can happen.

There should be enough slope in the line going from the house to the street so that once stuff is pumped up and out, it should flow by gravity to the street and into the main sewer line. If that line is not installed properly and slopes back to the house, the only thing preventing stuff from backing up into the house is the check valve.

Also note, draino and other drain cleaners will not help with most types of clogs, and can accumulate and mess up your pipes, pump, and fittings. It might help with a small hair clog or grease clog, but even then, should not be your first response. It can ruin a pro's tools and cause burns. You need to tell them if you've used it recently so that they can take precautions.

Has there been a lot of rain recently? Some towns have what are called combined rain/sewer lines. The EPA is trying to get towns to separate them. If you have a heavy rainstorm, it can overtax the sewer system and put sewage in places it shouldn't be, like your tub.

My guess is that you have a clog, and need to get the sewer line cleaned. Sewage backing up into the house is neither normal nor healthy. Depending on what they find, if it is roots, or something else will indicate what else, if anything needs to be done.

If this has to be repeated because it comes back again, I'd consider having them put a camera down there and scope it out. It might reveal a damaged line or the source of the problem. You might need to take the check valve out, clean it up or replace it.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Call a plumber or drain cleanibg company, they will be able to take care of the problem.

jennyriver

Reaction score
i meant to add...no, there hasn't been a lot of rain lately. there has been some, but below normal and none for days. also, my gut is telling me this problem started in the winter because the problem (having to plunge often) started happening more frequently then, and has only gotten worse.

thank you...my husband is calling his friend (a plumber) this morning. crossing our fingers!

Last edited:

pceetech

Reaction score
Greetings,

We had something similiar happen to at our house, but wasnt as bad. Things just backed up into our unfinished basement. Turned out to be tree root growning into our main sewer line 80' from the foundation. We had someone come out and auger it out. The only problem is that we know that it is going to happen again until we can save the money to get the line replaced. I can tell that it has been a problem for quite some time due to the groove worn into the side of the clean out from previous cleanings.

pceetech

lizskates14

Reaction score
I just had this happen twice in my home, the first time was downstairs and we called roto rooter out and they had to jet the main line going to the city sewer. It happened again 2 months later, this time upstairs, they jetted again, but there was such a backup that they had to jet through the vent in the roof. When they did this sewer gases and black water overflowed through the toilet, sink, and bathtub. Needless to say we had to have a new sewer line dug and replace the old one. I would recommend calling ServiceMaster, they ran a camera down the main line and found it was clogged with tree roots. Roto Rooter gave us an estimate 2x as much as ServiceMaster and this company not only has a 10yr. warranty of the line, but also a 5yr. clog warranty.
From what it sounds like you might have a similar situation in that your main line is clogged and in turn is causing the backup in the house. I was running the washing machine when the second backup occurred. We've had to gut the bathroom and completely replace everything because of the severity of the sewage backup. Call someone out the ASAP to look at the problem so you don't end up going through what I've had to.

Hope this helps.

Liz

Cheryl

Reaction score
Sewage Clogs

I have regularly been using several products by the company Roebic. I use their Main Liner Cleaner product for my main line problems. It effectively dissolves paper, waste and grease to keep the line open and eliminates foul smell. If you do suffer a clog, only water will backup so the situation is less stressful. If necessary, I also their professional drain operner through the shower. I use this product every day for three days and this quickly dissolve whatever clog is affecting your system. For the drains around the house, I use their liquid drain trap cleaner on a montly basis. Except for the drain opener, all of these products are non-chemical and maintain the good bacteria needed in the sewer lines.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
drain

Cheryl, aerobic stuff has been around at least since the 50s, and if it was any good all of these plumbers would say atta girl.....The sales pitch was good though.

We used it and I don't remember any one saying anything positive about any of that type of product. Sounds good though....

Cheryl

Reaction score
Sewer

Since you're a plumber, I can understand why you don't appreciate helpful advice. I have found that plumbers are not the most honest people. I have told all of the plumbers that I am using an unnamed product in my drains, and they all say that won't help, but they have no idea what product I am talking about. I find that these products work better than the plumbers. Of course, the price is right.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Cheryl, for your second post on this site you make quite an assumption thinking plumber1 doesn't appreciate helpful advice, he makes a point to contribute here on a daily basis to help others. I trust his 807 posts over your 2 Umm kay? Your quick defense to defend Roebic product sniffs of more than just good experience ($$$) You just got lucky that his username has the words plumber in it.

Lighten up and enjoy your stay. Even though you've isolated plumbers in the category that only "some" of us are dishonest, you might want to broaden your horizons so to speak and realize that there are dishonest people in every walk of life.

Good luck with your magic in a bottle; I hear that same song every time I show up with my $5000 worth of drain cleaning equipment that does what the magic didn't.

Tell the folks at Roebic I said hello.

Last edited:

Cheryl

Reaction score
Plumbing Advice

You seem to assume that I have a personal connection with Roebic. Sounds like you're a male who doesn't appreciate a woman having an opinion that a male didn't put into her head. Why don't you tell the Roebic foks "hi" yourself. It also sounds as if I touched an ego nerve with plumbers. If I thought plumbers were any good, I would not have had the need to turn to products like Roebic. A plumber's magic, even $5,000.00 worth, doesn't work.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Sheesh, I've baited a Dr. Phil transplant. :eek: No ego driven response here. My ego shrank up and withered away when I hit my 30's. I just voice an opinion when someone shows up and starts bashing away at those who obviously have a great deal more experience than you when it comes to the knowledges involving drain cleaning products.

At least don't start till you get 15 posts under your belt. Whoops, skirt. I didn't know you was a woman till you had to mention it. I respond to every post not knowing whether it is a man or woman, don't care what the username is, it has happened too many times where someone is posting under the husbands or the wives username. Doesn't matter, I still stick to my word. (yawns)

Sorry to hear that your anger is pointed by past bad plumber experiences. It seems to consume you. This would be the place for you then ;) There's about 20 of us here, maybe more. Just don't start throwing drain cleaning products around; that stuff gets in my eyes and it burn burn burns, like a ring of fire, like a ring of fire. :(

Last edited:

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Lol!!! :D Should have read a little more! I'll back away from this one now! Good luck to all involved!

sendec

Reaction score
Dealing with similar problems....

....and I've found a plumber I trust implicitly who has worked with us on solving the problem. Being a cop, that trust comes rarely and is always earned, not given. I have dealt with a few "bad" plumbers, but I have dealt with a few "bad" (insert profession here) also. I wouldnt slam any entire profession based on a few personal issues.

I am always amazed by the technical knowledge that plumbing takes. I had no idea it was so complex, and also appears to be somewhat of an art, too.

The only miracle cure to come in a bottle are antibiotics.

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
sendecI am always amazed by the technical knowledge that plumbing takes. I had no idea it was so complex said:
And sometimes even they dont work!!! Lol!

Cheryl

Reaction score
Responses

It's amazing that your comprehensive skills are so poor. First, I specifically mentioned that except for 1 of the products, the rest are NON-CHEMICAL. Another example of a male not listening. Second, I believe every registered member has a right to post and offer an opinion, no matter how many posts they currently have on the forum.
RUGGED said:
Sheesh, I've baited a Dr. Phil transplant. :eek: No ego driven response here. My ego shrank up and withered away when I hit my 30's. I just voice an opinion when someone shows up and starts bashing away at those who obviously have a great deal more experience than you when it comes to the knowledges involving drain cleaning products.

At least don't start till you get 15 posts under your belt. Whoops, skirt. I didn't know you was a woman till you had to mention it. I respond to every post not knowing whether it is a man or woman, don't care what the username is, it has happened too many times where someone is posting under the husbands or the wives username. Doesn't matter, I still stick to my word. (yawns)

Sorry to hear that your anger is pointed by past bad plumber experiences. It seems to consume you. This would be the place for you then ;) There's about 20 of us here, maybe more. Just don't start throwing drain cleaning products around; that stuff gets in my eyes and it burn burn burns, like a ring of fire, like a ring of fire. :(

pattyg101

Reaction score
abikerboy said:
Ok guys, I gotta do this, and am not judging anyone by gender, male or female. Two of the best diesel mechanics on my crew, one of which is the best mechanic I have ever worked with, are female, and both in their early thirties. Out of a crew of 17, these two ladies can outwork any man that I have in my shop! Lol! (And yes, I called them ladies. In greasy coveralls, swinging wrenches and flinging around engine parts, they're part of the gang, but hold on to your socks when you see them out in public, all cleaned up, with their husband/boyfriend and children!) Anyway, according to the scientific journal and occupational safety regulations concerning handling "light" chemicals, any substance that is either acid, or alkaline in it's "free" state is considered a chemical. In order to not be considered a chemical, it has to have a nuetral ph, consist of only one element which cannot be a part of the chemical composition table, be non-toxic, and fully and completely biodegradeable! Going by this, that means that by the laws of science, even water is a chemical! It consists of two hydrogen atoms, one oxygen atom, and various impurities that are NOT biodegradeable! In fact, water itself does not biodegrade! It simply evaporates, and condenses as rain! Even when you sit down on your toilet for that extended session of magazine reading, you're leaving behind a chemical mixture. It is all natural, and full of enzymes and bacteria, but does not fully biodegrade. By law, it is considered a hazardous chemical, and must be handled properly. That is why we have sludge and scum in our sewers and septic tanks. Even natural enzymes are chemical mixtures, created by nature. If they did not have chemical properties, they would be nuetral ph, only consist of one element, and would degrade into an even lower element the minute the air hit them! Basically, they would be useless. A true non-chemical would not clean a sewer line, or even remove your fingerprints from a piece of glass! What the ad geeks call non-chemical means that it is made out of things found in nature. This is only an advertisement gimmick, as gasoline, motor oil, diesel fuel, plastics, metals (ones that can be considered chemicals), what have you, are ALL made from all natural ingredients! Yet they are chemicals, and very powerful ones! What on this planet isnt made from natural resources? Even your computer monitor is all natural! No chemicals there, right? Want to see how "natural non chemical" drain cleaners really work? Get some in your eyes or throat one time. Swallow some and see if your stomach doesnt survive, that is, if you yourself happen to survive. And by the way, I am niether plumber, electrician or doctor. I've had bad experiences in all professions, and good experiences as well. Even have heard about the kid who mows the lawn, so to speak, who tried to convince an elderly lady that he mowed just two days ago. Yes, he says, I did! The grass really does grow that fast sometimes. Just pay me and I will go away! There are good guys out there, and there are bad guys out there. If I were a crooked plumber, or even a crooked doctor looking to make a buck, I could not even imagine wasting time passing out free advice on a website with the hope of someone solving their own problem. I would just simply send some contact info, and say "when can I expect a call from you about fixing this?" Two of my favorite quotes; Advice is given freely, but very seldom taken, and passed upon at such great expense! Second quote, (someone tell me if I cant type this here) Opinions are like ***holes! Everybody has one, and they all generally stink! I do not know any of the people on this site personally, but to the ones who have given me advice, and have solved a few of my problems, or even if the advice didnt solve my problem, if any of you guys ran your shop in my area, I would call you for my servicing, simply because you did try to provide me with suggestions, and in turn have proven yourselves not as plumbers, or electricians, but as fellow human beings. To me, that means that you deserve the chance to prove to me your profession. And as for males not listening! Lol!! It isnt that males dont listen. We just learn to tune out the excessive chatter! We do this with other males too, not just the women. Ask my ex wife. She can explain! Kinda shows why she and I are best friends now, yet could not live together! Speaking of excessive chatter, WHEW!!! Im outta breath!!

Well said. (sorry guys but I had to do this).

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
talk about beating a dead horse

for all that is holy on GODS GREEN EARTH ,

all you got to do is call a plumber then

either gets it cleaned out , snaked, pumped out,

repaired or whatever.....

index.php

you KNOW you aren't going to attempt this yourself.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks