Toilet drain question for new bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

hilliap

Reaction score
I'm adding a new bathroom in our 1.5 story bungalow and have a situaion where I'd like to use a 3x3x2 90degree 3" elbow as the toilet drain. The 2" in portion will attach to the shower drain. see pic.

because of the floor joist, the shower drain will be exactly in line w/ the toilet drain. I was thinking that instead of running two drains (w/ the shower drain somehow skirting around the toilet drain), I could attach the 2" drain directly into the 3" inch. but this will attach directly to the 90 degree bend coming down from the toilet.

(venting will be within 2' of toilet using air admittance valve)

Is this OK or am I asking for trouble down the road?
Oh, I need to use an off set flange to clear a joist.

thanks

The lo heel can only be used this way, with the vent on the high side
attachment.php

Up

Attachments

• IMG_4396.jpg
    IMG_4396.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,690
Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

It would not fly here for 2 reasons. (1). it is a short turn fitting, and (2). the toilet's discharge would splash back into the 2" drain, and the shower flow might not be enough to keep that clean.

hilliap

Reaction score
thanks...
so given that, I'll need to do a 22.5 or 45 horizontal bend in the 2" drain, run it next to the 3", past the vent T, and then could I tie the 2" into the 3" using a 3x3x2 wye horizontally? Or should I just run both side by side until I get to the vertical run and then do the wye?

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
1. You cannot lay a heel outlet 1/4 bend on it's back.

attachment.php

2. Rather than using the offset flange cut and box out the joist, the offset flange will cause clogging problems. Only use them when absolutely necessary.

the toilet and shower drains should branch off seperatley from the drain line .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks