Grohe faucet handle removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike2

Reaction score
I have a number of Grohe mdl. # 31 054 faucets on my boat.

I need to replace some cartridges but for the life of me can't figure out how to remove those handles. :confused:

What's the secret?

:)

grohe-lav-faucet-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From the parts breakdown, it lists the handle as a complete assembly, and then the subcomponents, one of which is center cap. Most of these have a cap that pops off to expose the screw which holds things together. It appears that yours is fairly standard in that manner. See if you can find a seam between the top of the handle and the rest of it. Being careful to avoid scratching things up, pry the cap off. You should see the screw, which will allow the rest of the handle to be removed. Should be easy from there.

attachment.php

Mike2

Reaction score
There is no sign of a screw cap/cover on these handles Jim. Appears to be one solid chromed piece of metal.

I have all the original documention that came with these faucets including the installation instructions and parts list. No mention anywhere on how to remove the handles to get at the cartridges.

Anyone else know?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The part I mentioned is for a different set of handles, the cross. Should have looked closer.

Humm, maybe it is just a press fit, then the guts unscrew. You might have to wait until you can call them on Monday to be sure.

Mike2

Reaction score
Yeah, a pressed fit is what I'm afraid of.

They cannot be pulled off by hand, that I know. And I don't want to try the tapered shim stock/hammer routine until I know for sure how those parts separate.

I see these faucets frequently, both on boats and in home bar sinks so I know there are plumbers out there who have dealt with this before.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
handles

They can usually be pulled off by hand if you sort of rock them while pulling. Otherwise wrap them with tape and then pull them off with a pair of Channel lock pliers.

grohe-handle-05.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I have worked on dozens of these. They do absolutely pull off. It takes muscle and grip; and watch out for what may be in the way of your elbow when the handle gives, cause it only gives with lots of force and you don't want to smack into anything.

Mike2

Reaction score
Thanks guys, applying more muscle it will be. Given location and proximity to side cabinets I may end up removing the entire faucet assembly first to get enough leverage.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If all else fails, drill a hole in the center of the handle then use a dent puller. Fill the hole with some liquid steel when the job is complete.

Just Kidding......

Mike2

Reaction score
I got a boat Cass.....but I didn't get off it yesterday. :D

I suspect that because the boat is moored in a marine environment those brass parts have become say we say, well "glued" together. Six years of "glue" as a matter of fact. ;)

I'll post the outcome.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The part which the handle fits onto is plastic (semi-hard polypropelyene) so there is no bond whatsoever, just detents which fit snugly.

Mike2

Reaction score
Some more good news, thanks for the tip. You's guys are great.

You's guys is how us Northwest Yankees pronounce y'all. :D

yhughes

Reaction score
same problem

I'm trying to remove my Grohe Wideset 20610 faucet handle because it's leaking and ran into this thread.
I'm wondering if Mike did remove his faucet by pulling it off with muscle.

Thanks in advance for any tip.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For that type of handle, you pull the metal handle off, and then you will see the attaching screw.

Attachments

• E31054US.jpg
    E31054US.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 40,298

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just worked on some of those blessed handles yesterday. Brute strength is indeed the answer.
There is no way to use a puller, nor a place to jam in a wedge or two behind the handle.
I gave up on my first attempt, and the client decided to just live with the slow drip from the
faucet for quite some time. I went back later (with an entire replacement faucet at hand) and really
hauled on it, which did the trick. Be WARNED that if you forget to install the little (special) brass screw
holding on the splined plastic sleeve to the cartridge before you put the handle on, the plastic sleeve
will snap into the handle with it's death grip, but won't securely hold the handle on to the faucet.
I had to destructively attack the sleeve with an assortment of drill bits to get it out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks