Good quality shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Leemonster

Reaction score
I just puchased a Price Pfister shower valve (model Treviso 808-5DK) from Lowes. After opening the box to check it out, I not sure I like the quality of it. The valve body is brass, but everything else is plastic. The piece that the handle attaches to is also plastic and it seems like it could break with a good whack from an elbow. The pipe fittings are also female threaded rather than sweat joints.

Does anyone have any experience with this or similar valves? I'd also welcome any suggestions for a good quality mostly brass valve. Thanks.

Mabu2

Reaction score
I just purchased a similar item from Lowes. It seem the shower fixtures are either $58 or $158 with nothing in between, and if you go for a $58 model, it's mostly plastic. I am not sure if even the high end models are made better.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Top end valve bodies are all brass. The guts can vary, depending on the brand - some using cartridges, some using washers (not as common). Ceramic valves often are on the higher end valves. They pretty much all have some plastic in them, but the critical parts in the better ones are usually brass.

I've got a somewhat unusual tub/shower/spout fixture - it weighs about 8 pounds. Built like a tank with nice thick chrome plating. It cost about $350.

Many of the pros on this site really like the Delta fixtures. Quick change, easy, long-lasting guts, and not too many varieties, so you can find them when you need them. Personally, I never really liked their 'feel', but have to admit, they work.

jr1

Reaction score
Grohe valves & trim

Well, I just installed Grohe all around the new bathroom and I'm really impressed with how smooth the valves are.

The shower valve was female threaded, but the manufacturer includes brass couplings for soldered connections. The shower valve and trim kit cost me about $150 CDN (through a wholesaler). http://www.grohecatalog.com. The trim kit is 19 068 OOO and the valve is 35 252 OOO.

The tub filler is a thing of beauty. It weighs a ton, but smooth and solid. I guess that's German engineering for you.

Joel

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks