Muriatic Acid-Removing mineral deposits from glass

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm going to use acid to clean my two 50 X 50 picture windows in the living room. (exterior) 31.45 strength Muriatic Acid.
My local hardware guy told me that I should use full strength and apply with a throw away paint brush.

Heavy mineral deposits obscure view-CLR products are minimally effective and removed about 20% of deposits last year.

I know about ventilation and mixing issues as I used it as a kid in school.

*Directly* below the window is painted stucco-I'm concerned about any drip damage.
Can/should I use old rags to remove the excess acid/wait till it dries or.....?
I have some one-use latex gloves. Can I use them or will it eat right thru them?

Another concern is wasshing the acid away and excess getting into plants and palm tree. I was thing about sprinkling some baking soda on the ground as a safe guard-just in case.

I have safety glasses I use with tile/mosiacs.

any suggestions helpful...

Prashster

Reaction score
not a pro

Use an acid-safe brush and acid-safe gloves. "Kitchen" latex gloves will dissolve quickly.

You're taking a huge risk with your plants. You can't make a good enough 'baking soda blanket' that will catch acid AND not be harmful to your plants. If I were resorting to this, then I'd use a sheet on top of an acid-safe tarp. The sheet will prevent splatter and runoff.

However, I'd look long and hard for a less drastic cleaner than muriatic acid. The mineral deposits should dissolve with acid, so I think yr on the right track (pH-wise, speaking), but I'd go with something a little less Rambo like vinegar. In the worst case, I'd dilute the MA lots over.

Just my 2cents.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
yea. I need to rethink this. Losing a 30 foot palm tree isnt an option...
took your suggestion and tested vinegar-one application removed about 60%. partial success.

Prashster

Reaction score
Umm....Forgot to say: be careful with vinegar too. Vinegar makes a great natural herbicide....
:eek:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
OK. *I thank you very much*. You Da' Man Prashter. You saved me considerable grief and I just wish Forrest Gump from the hardware store had been as wise.

A good scrubbing and 2 applications of a straight *vinegar scrubbing* using a no-scratch sponge and it took about 95% of scaling off. I'm satisfied-especially considering the risk-reward ratio of the acid.

I neutralized the excess vinegar with half box of baking soda-then swept it all up easily. Now Im going to dilute it all with many gallons of water from the garden hose.

For cleaning scaling from glass or tile-it's apparent that vinegar is superior to the OTC CLR products. No comparison actually.

I'll save the acid for small concrete stains. :)

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Stucco is a lime and cement based product. It is the kind of thing that muriatic acid will dissolve nicely. If it gets through the paint your stucco will be damaged.

One of the best things you can do is use lots of water. Dilution is the answer to pollution. After you finish you can add lime to the soil to neutralize the acid, but be careful that you don't overdo it and kill the plants that like acid soil.

If you find it necessary to dilute the muriatic acid, you must ALWAYS add the acid to the water.

The acid brings energy to the process, while water takes it away. A little bit of acid in the water has little energy and lots of cooling. A little water in the acid releases energy from that bucket of acid and there is little water to cool it. Not good.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I hear you Bob..
Tell me what you think about this: I get my swamp cooler serviced every summer. I have never run any kind of cleaner thru the system before.
I'm just wondering if running a bottle of vinegar thru the system might be good preventative maintainence. Or would the acid compromise the pads..?
(pads are cheap BTW and can be a natural or poly fiber.)

thoughts...

I love swamp coolers. Cost to cool the house per month-15 bucks.
The only down side is..ona humid day-you're screwed and better off without it. That only occurs a couple days per summer.
I live at the apex where the Mojave and Sonoran deserts meet in in So Cal.

Last edited:

Prashster

Reaction score
woah, there vinegar man!

Man, you're like the Dad on My Big Fat Greek Wedding who uses Windex as a panacea for everything!!! ;)

Vinegar works on a lot of mineral deposits that react and dissolve with acid. Sometimes bleach is better for cleaning inside hoses where mold and bacteria might dwell.

The only other thing I know vinegar is good at is catching fruit flies ;)

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
prashster said:
Man, you're like the Dad on My Big Fat Greek Wedding who uses Windex as a panacea for everything!!! ;)

Vinegar works on a lot of mineral deposits that react and dissolve with acid. Sometimes bleach is better for cleaning inside hoses where mold and bacteria might dwell.

The only other thing I know vinegar is good at is catching fruit flies ;)

:eek: Ahem...Prashter-someone is forging your name and advised me to use Vinegar (which worked great BTW)
Firstly, Windex is good for nothing compared with my 1-1-1 spray formula of
Alcohol-Vinegar-Water. And...yes it will clean just about any damn thing
in your home. lol

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
The Works--Tub & Tile Cleaner

For hard water lime stains & rust, I use vinegar or The Works brand Tub & Shower Tile cleaner. On something really tough I use their toilet cleaner.

If I was doing it, I'd try rubber gloves, rags & rub it on. Let it sit for 1-2 mins, rinse test spot then rinse all well. Flush ground well too.

The Works products all work well and are cheap!

Bye

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
Hi Mikey,

I just saw your question. Works products can be found anywhere in the cleaing supply isles.

You have probably found some by now.

Bye

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks