Corner Sink Install

Users who are viewing this thread

LarryK57

Reaction score
I'm renovating a small (OK, really small) full bath and have a question about the length of the tail piece for the sink drain. I have to install a corner unit because the sill plate of the only usable wall sits on top of a double joist in the basement and I don't want to carve it out for the water & drain lines. The old vanity consisted of a "custom built" cabinet (circa 1960) with the water and drain lines going straight down into the basment. Trouble is they sit about 18" out from the corner. Here's what I want to accomplish: install a corner pedestal unit with the water & drain lines tucked inside the pedestal so they can not be seen, and have the trap below floor level in the basement. Is this a viable solution? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Prashster

Reaction score
No can do. Someone asked this last week.
There's a max limit on the tail length. I think it's 24 inches.
Anything greater will create too much head pressure on the draining water and will risk causing a siphon or pushing the water out of the trap.

Further, you can't put a trap just below the sink and then immediately transition to another vertical keeping the whole shebang somewhat tucked behind yr pedestal. Reason: it'll create an S trap, which has a high likelihood of siphoning the trap dry.

You have 2 options:

1) Go into the wall a few inches below the sink to create a short tail and a proper p trap (heck, you can tell everyone that horizontal branch is a 'towel bar'! )

or

2) install the sink 6-18" off the floor, drain under the floor, and call it a 'foot washer' ;)

Last edited:

LarryK57

Reaction score
Gotcha! I can't go through the wall because of the double joist under the sill plate, so I guess I'll just have to use chrome and have the tail piece show behind the pedestal. Not really a big deal. Thanks for the input.

Prashster

Reaction score
Can't you search for a corner vanity that'll allow you to use the old wall drain location?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1) Go into the wall a few inches below the sink to create a short tail and a proper p trap (heck, you can tell everyone that horizontal branch is a 'towel bar'! )

That is not enough to create a proper drain. All that does is make a different sort of "S" trap. It still needs a vent.

Prashster

Reaction score
"That creates another type of S trap".

No it doesn't. That's not what I was describing. Read it back more carefully. I meant go into the wall like a "normal" perpendicularly mounted sink should, As long as the horiz portion is long enough going into the wall it won't be an S trap.

LarryK57

Reaction score
Would I still have the possible problem of siphoning in the S trap if I installed a P trap below the floor level? That's where it runs horizontal to the main waste line. The configuration would then have the S trap feeding into the P trap with about 18 inches separating them.

Last edited:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
LarryK57 said:
Would I still have the possible problem of siphoning in the S trap if I installed a P trap below the floor level? That's where it runs horizontal to the main waste line. The configuration would then have the S trap feeding into the P trap with about 18 inches separating them.

Without a vent between the two, I think so.... Maybe use one of those ventless doohickeys between the two?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

prashster said:
"That creates another type of S trap".

No it doesn't. That's not what I was describing. Read it back more carefully. I meant go into the wall like a "normal" perpendicularly mounted sink should, As long as the horiz portion is long enough going into the wall it won't be an S trap.

The horizontal portion can be 12 feet long, but as long as there is no vent rising off of it at or before the point where it turns down it IS AN "S" trap. An "elongated S trap" possibly, but still an "S" trap. The "S" trap is in the construction, not the dimensions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks