Adding Bathroom in Attic-Wet Vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

David Seebeck

Reaction score
I am adding a bathroom in my attic. Currently no plumbing. I have consulted with licensed plumber who suggested I drop a 3 in. line down the wall over an existing downstairs bathroom. Currently there exists a 2 in. vent for downstairs toilet. He suggested replacing 2 in. vent with the 3 in. line. It would then be used as a wet vent (drain for upstairs, vent of downstairs toilet). I have cut in to the wall behind the downstairs toilet and it appears the 2 in. vent goes below the concrete slab foundation where it ties into the main drain. My question is how deep will I have to jackhammer the foundation to expose pipes enough to tie in the 3 in. wet vent, and how will I tie it in? Can plumbers cut out a 2 in. vent, then enlarge the opening to fit a 3 in. pipe? Or, will the entire intersection of piping have to be cut out and replaced (meaning a considerable more material removal and more work).

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't know where your plumber works, but that would never be allowed where they use the UPC plumbing code.

Here they would leave the 2" vent in place, and bring a 3" down and tie that in downstream of any vents for the downstairs plumbing.

dwv_b2.jpg

David Seebeck

Reaction score
What type of fittings will be needed?

Ok. If I excavate and expose the pipe junction from toilet to vent to main drain, then look toward tying the upstairs 3 in. line to this junction, what type of fitting or fittings shoule I use?

I have enough room to bring the 3 in. line down the wall next to the 2 in. vent. Do I use a sweep 90 to go from verticle to horizontal before tying into the junction? The junction will have to have 3 in. to toilet, or front, 3 in. to upstairs drain or left side, 3 in. to 2 in. vent on top, and 3 in. on bottom for main house drain. If there is such a fitting what is it called.

It also sounds like major excavation to be able to remove existing fitting. Sound right? How far down do you think I will have to go?

Thanks.

Dave

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks