Need help finding bypass door hardware

Users who are viewing this thread

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Looking for bypass door hardware, the hanger/roller that holds the door and fits in the track overhead. This is for a closet door in a bedroom. The house is 50yrs old and the rubber wheel is shot. The bearings are still good though, lol. Can't find a replacement anywhere.

I've looked at Stanley's and Johnson's websites. The closest thing is the heavy duty roller style, but today it's offered only in 2, 3 or 4 rollers. What I have is a single roller (2 per door), and is mounted on the top edge of the door, not the inside face. In other words, the mounting screws are vertical into the narrow edge of the door, not horizontal into the back face of the door.

I guess an option is to take out the old track and install new track and new rollers. But the track is trapped by some of the wood trim on the inside of the closet, and it means wood rippage which I want to avoid. I'm envisioning replacing of the track to be a pain in the backside.

Can anyone provide suggestions on where to look for old or discontinued bypass door hardware? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might be able to buy the rollers and either drill out the existing ones (if a pressed in pin) and replace with a ball-bearing wheel. It might be a cludge...I'd check HD or Lowes and see if you can find repair parts, maybe for a sliding glass door?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Very difficult to find replacement hardware for things that old. The company is probably unknown or out of business. Unless it was a widely sold item, no one may be still making aftermarket parts. You can search all the usual places, but may end up getting an all-new set up/

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think an all-new setup is the most likely solution. Any idea on how long it takes to take out the old track and install new? The rollers themselves are a piece of cake. Removing the old track looks like a real joy.

Finnegan

Reaction score
There is a company that HD used to carry (they do not anymore) that used hardware like you are describing. National Manufacturing Company, Sterling, IL 61081. Ace Hardware still distributes their products I believe. I think the part you need is a roller kit or something like that. Good luck.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I noticed that the link is incomplete. Try this one and roam around the site if it works.

There is something about this site that puts a bunch of ..... in the address and omits characters that you need for the site to work. When you use the one below you should copy it to the address line of your browser and put in your own www. You msy have to track down through the residential sliding door hangers light duty stuff but they have single roller hangers with part numbers.

stanleyhardware.com/default.asp? TYPE=CATEGORY&CATEGORY=HDW+LD+SLIDING+DOOR+HANGERS

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks