Tub waste into a plumbing vent

Users who are viewing this thread

SnapperX1

Reaction score
We are looking to install a washer & dryer on our second floor. The room that we want to install them in is immediately over a full bath (tub/shower, toilet, sink). Can we "45" into the vent pipe that likely servicing the 1st floor bath, with the washer waste water hose?

Or, will we need to run the washer drain line to the basement and tie-into the 1st floor bathroom waste line below the 1st floor bathroom?

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Don't do it, Not a good idea.

Don't do it, Not a good idea.

The washer will need to drop down a floor and connect below.

A vent should remain dry, or it's "not" a vent.

There are case where something really light duty like a lav rated at one fixture unit is allowed a very short wet vent section if the pipe in one size larger.

That is not your case here.
Putting that much water down the vent could cause overflowing of the fixtures below.

Last edited:

SnapperX1

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I thought that would be the answer.

Since we need to run H & C lines to the second floor, I'm not certain why I feel so tired when I think about running an 1-1/2 PVC to the basement.

Oh well, guess we'll find out how badly we want the 2nd floor laundry.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

If running a 1 1/2" line to the basement, and I hope you are considering installing a trap and vent with it, imagine how you are going to feel when you find out it should have been a 2" line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks