Tub Opinions / Recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dino

Reaction score
I was planning to have my existing cast iron tub refinished as part of a bath remodel. Every place I called told me it would cost about 300 bucks. On place offered several different opions...the basic resin epoxy for $300 (3 year), an enamal finish for $375 (5 year) or a "custom fit" acrylic liner for $1100 (10 year warranty) I did a liitle research here on this site to try and detarmine the best solution for me. And thanks to all of you good people (another poster had a similar question) I learned that a complete new pocelain/cast iron tub should cost way less than $1000!

I stopped by Big Orange Depot and guess what a basic Kohler porcelain/cast iron tub costs? $300! Problem solved...Except they've also got an American Standard whirlpool tub made of acrylic(?) or some similar material. SAME PRICE! The wife like that idea. But I can't find much info on the tub as I can't match a model number to anything on the American Standard website. Maybe one of those products made "exclusively for Big Orange Depot" Any experience with these tubs? Good? Bad? What am I in for? Is this going to be a cleaning and maintenance nightmare?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
bath tub?

I would choose a cast iron tub over anything else.

It will look better longer and will clean up better .

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The labor cost to install a new tub of any kind will far exceed the cost of the tub since quite a lot of demolition and repair of walls is involved.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

The plumbing and wall replacement cost will be the same regardless of the tub you use. There are good acrylics and there are thin "bad" acrylics. You will also have to have dedicated GFCI outlet under the tub and an access opening to service the pump and reset the GFCI if it trips.

Dino

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I'm aware of the additional requirements. At this point the room is nearly gutted and I'm changing from a right hand tub to a left, so there's already miscellaneous plumbing mods involved. Because it's gutted, everything is accessible, and nearly anything possible.

"plumber1's" cast iron recommendation is exactly what my instinct tell me. But nobody has any particular experience with the American Standard whirlpools?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks