(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Multiple saddle valves

Default Multiple saddle valves

Is there any reason why I shouldn't have two saddle-valve connected appliance s on a cold-water suplly line under a kitchen sink (an ice maker and a hot-water dispenser)?

Thanks much,
    Andrew

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I personally don't like them and would rather put in real shutoff valves, but my guess from a DIY viewpoint is it's okay. The seal on those things is a little bit of rubber. It pierces the copper to let the water in. On most of them I've read the instructions for say not to use them as a volume control, but they do (usually) let you shut it off. If it gets knocked and you turn it off, it can make the hole larger when you screw it back in. Not usually a problem.

I've seen a 3-way shutoff valve in a catalog. Replace the existing valve with a 3-way, and no saddle valves needed.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default Saddle valves

The general opinion from the plumbers on this board is that saddle valves are not too good. It is not a question of will they fail, but when will they fail. I got rid of the one that lead to my ice maker for that reason.

Default valve

One saddle valve is bad enough, why would you want to use two of them? If you insist on using one, just use one and tee the second device into the copper tube after the valve.