90 degree drain turn?

Users who are viewing this thread

PaulHG

Reaction score
Please forgive what is probably a very simplistic newbie question.
Current tub drain (1.5" id pvc) has two 45 degree elbows - causing it to require an angled hole through the floor joist.
Am looking at moving the tub - which will mean rerouting the drain and replacing or sistering the joists.
QUESTION -
Is it legal/accetable/wise to turn this drain horizontally at 90 degrees rather than 45?
My purpose would be to allow me to bore a straight hole through the joist rather than an angled one - and to make that hole closer to the end of the joist (I'm already within the end third - but this would take it further in)
This would definitely be easier to cut - and (I'm assuming) be less weakening
to the joist.

If there is a problem with my plan or the logic behind it - please let me know.
Thanks

Prashster

Reaction score
(not a pro)
I totally agree with your logic on the structural integrity of the joist. It's probably an issue of how drastic a 90deg turn would be. Can you make a long sweep instead of using an el?

PaulHG

Reaction score
yes - there should be plenty of room for a long sweep.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks