Flexible Copper Tubing

Users who are viewing this thread

Beachcomber

Reaction score
I inadvertently installed "Refrigeration Tubing Dehydrated" for a dedicated drinking water system. I used 1/2" tubing run from the basement to the kitchen where it splits to a drinking water spout and an icemaker.

Is this tubing safe to use for drinking water applications?

Correct me if you know I'm wrong, but based on my research, the refrigeration tubing uses ASTM B280 standards, whereas the drinking water tubing uses ASTM B88 standards. I have no idea what the differences are.

Are there any chemicals used in the manufacturing process that would make the refrigeration tubing unsuitable for drinking water? They *look* the same (that's how I ended up with the wrong stuff - read the label, stupid!), but obviously doesn't mean they are.

Thanks for any and all input.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is a guess, I'm not a pro. The dehydrated tubing is cleaned and then the gas in the line is replaced with dry air (maybe nitrogen) then capped to prevent contamination or crud and moisture so that when installed into a refrigeration system you don't have to worry about water in the line. My guess is that, like any new plumbing, that if you flush the line out after installation, you won't have any problems.

Beachcomber

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks - that's what I suspected.

As a follow up, I called the manufacturer. They indicated it *can* be used for water as long as code in my locality allows it (properties must be slightly different regarding pressure capabilities, etc.

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks