Cleanout orientation

Users who are viewing this thread

TheZster

Reaction score
I'm back with another project - adding a new bathroom to an upstairs bedroom in my latest "fixer upper". The plumbing looks great and presents no issues so far - except (always an except)....

My new drain (3inch) hooks into the existing vertical main stack at a 45 degree angle. Anticipating a pressure test requirement, I put a 3X3X3 cleanout just before entering the main stack (to allow for a balloon plug) - unfortunately, I had to put the piece on it's side, rather than it's back due to accessability reasons. Now I discover my city doesn't do pressure testing.

Is the "on it's side" orientation going to be a problem?

TheZster

Reaction score
On it's side means the cleanout opening is horizontal to the run (in my layman's vernacular)........ certainly not downwards........ On it's back would mean the cleanout opening is facing upwards (or close to it in the case of a 3X3X3 sanitary T running downhill at a 45degree angle)..... I hate the idea of having to take it out.............

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
All should be well, and if it clogs you have a C/O. :)

TheZster

Reaction score
Thanks to you both... I just love the forum for the sound advice I've received in the past - and present.....

Thanks again..... (Of course, if my inspector doesn't like it... I'm going to give them your names..... ;) )

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks