pipe noises

Users who are viewing this thread

farrington

Reaction score
I recently remodeled a second floor guest bath in my house. It is back to back with my master bath. The partition wall that seperates them is not on joist because of the all the drain pipes between the two baths. It is on 2x8s laid flat attached to 2x4s that are spiked to doubled up joist in each bath. I'm sure the older pro's in here have seen this before. I wasn't so sure about this set up because i planned on tiling the entire partition wall to the ceiling. That's alot of weight for a wall not on a joist especially since the opposite side is also partially tiled. After speaking to some framers I was assured it could handle it safely. Now that you know the situation here's my question. It's done and the wall is making some creaking noises that I'm concerned about. My girlfriend says it's the supply pipes rubbing up against the studs because there is more movement in the wall from the added weight. The origional holes drilled through the studs for the supply lines were on the small side. I noticed it when I was sweating a new pipe on. Could supply lines rubbing against wood be a source of wall cavity noises?? Creaks and pops. I did notice it does happen more after the water has been used but it still happens if it hasn't. thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The supply lines, and especially the hot lines will make noise if they are too tight because they expand when the hot water flows through them. From your description, the holes in the studs should have been larger. PVC and ABS drain pipes make ticking noises when water drains through them because they expand and contract as they heat and cool. You will notice running water noise while the PVC or ABS lines are draining.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks