Schlage deadbolt-flush screws

Users who are viewing this thread

bbbluueyes

Reaction score
Hi - I am trying to remove a what I think is a Schlage deadbolt. From the inside of the lock, instead of phillps screws or flat screws, the "screws" are entirely flush to the lock. The face of the deadbolt as I look at it from the inside has two flush screws, not phillps or flat. I know it should be simple, but I am totally stuck....

Thank you for any help!

Paul

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some locks come with plugs that are hammered in after the screws are installed for additional security...you might be looking at those. It prevents someone from easily removing the whole lock, defeating its purpose. It can be a real bear to remove them, if installed like this. Sometimes, they are hardened steel as well to thwart drilling them out. You may destroy the lock removing it. Time to maybe talk to a locksmith. Maybe someone will have some direct experience.

You might check a store where they sell that type...you might be able to look at a new one and see what is going on. Same thing is true if you search the Schlage website...maybe they will have some insight and suggestions. Let us know what you find out...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I think I remember seeing drive plugs on some Schlage locks. They might pop out with an icepick.

This could also be a Medeco lock, and they are not easily worked on . Locksmith call is in your future!

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
I'M a carpenter ,both answers are right

I take my grinder to the plugs destroying the lock. screws are inside plugs

locksmiths have a hard time removing them. what's your time worth?

Rjmc48

Reaction score
bbbluueyes said:
Hi - I am trying to remove a what I think is a Schlage deadbolt. From the inside of the lock, instead of phillps screws or flat screws, the "screws" are entirely flush to the lock. The face of the deadbolt as I look at it from the inside has two flush screws, not phillps or flat. I know it should be simple, but I am totally stuck....

Thank you for any help!

Paul
just put the key in the deadbolt and turn the key a quater turn.
there is a window that opens up so you can see the phillips screws.

Toolaholic

Reaction score
Rjmc , Not So

the key needs to be reinserted 3 times in 3 seconds, then 1/4 turn to see the window Tool

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lock

toolaholic said:
the key needs to be reinserted 3 times in 3 seconds, then 1/4 turn to see the window Tool
The only way it could keep track of how fast you insert the key was if it were electronic. I doubt that this deadbold is electronic. An normally the only ones that need to have the key inserted and rotated are double cylinder ones, which are illegal for most applications.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fun

In that case you forgot to mention that you have to jump up into the air and click the heels of your red shoes together each time you insert the key.

Toolaholic

Reaction score
5 months later you make this inappropiate, crass reply?

have you just been released from a mental hosp. or jail?

I was a sgt. in the Marine corps, Am i in awe of a little wacked out see bee?

I 'm afraid not:D take your meds and reply in Feb 2007.

Terry ,please dump this low life, thank's Tool:rolleyes:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think "wise-ass" would be a better description. At least that's what we civilians would call you.:rolleyes:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Enough already!

This thread has degraded to name calling, which we really would rather not have on this forum. Enough!

Laurence-MA

Reaction score
deadbolt screws removed

Thanks for the tip, I have dexter locks with those plugs in them. I got the plugs out and yes there is a phillips head screw. Again, thanks for the tip.
I had to micky mouse a tool, but it worked fine, tnx

Suzy

Reaction score
:rolleyes: Seriously, can anyone help a single gal with a Dexter lock with screw plugs? What tool does the locksmith have that can get these things out to reveal the Phillips head they're jammed into?

Toolaholic

Reaction score
YOU can try an awl, or try to drill them out. THE plugs are heat treated hard steel. Dexter locks are garbage Schlage locksets are the way to go. What works for me is to use my grinder to cut the lock off. I have lots of tools most homeowners wouldn't have. In my opinion a dexter isn't worth saving!

irishbrawler

Reaction score
'Plugged' Schlage lock

I tried drilling the plugs themselves, this didn't get me far. When I drilled immediately beside the plugs the drill bit counter-turned the plugged screws right out! It was awesome when the whole lock fell to the floor.

P.S. I did try the suggestion by toolaholic 'the key needs to be reinserted 3 times in 3 seconds, then 1/4 turn to see the window Tool ' to no avail. I don't think this works. :p

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks