10" rough in problem

Users who are viewing this thread

footfoot29

Reaction score
Finishing a bathroom in my basement with a 10" rough in. Well really a 9 1/2" rough in. Went out got a American Standard Colony 10" toilet. Problem is the back of the tank is sort of rounded and not flat and the tank will not seat properly. Are there any models out there that have flat backs on their tanks, i think it would work if i can find one. The plumber that did my rough in was off just a little with the spacing from the wall. Thanks for any and all help.

D

dc_homeplumber

footfoot29 said:
Finishing a bathroom in my basement with a 10" rough in. Well really a 9 1/2" rough in. Went out got a American Standard Colony 10" toilet. Problem is the back of the tank is sort of rounded and not flat and the tank will not seat properly. Are there any models out there that have flat backs on their tanks, i think it would work if i can find one. The plumber that did my rough in was off just a little with the spacing from the wall. Thanks for any and all help.
The Kohler Wellworth, the Niagara Flapperless and the new American Standard Cadet 3 Flush Right are all flat (or straight) across the back. The round, elongated and ADA models of the Kohler and American Standard are all available with 10-inch rough-in. The Niagara Flapperless will fit both 10- and 12-inch rough-in installations in both the round and elongated models.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
10"

You will have to measure the toilets. A 10" toilet usually has a lot less margin for error than a 12" one does, so you normally have to be pretty close to the 10" mark.

Ho333ard

Reaction score
I don't think you want to spend $600 or are looking for a traditional style, but FWIW my Toto Carrolton tank actually has too much space to the wall even though my rough-in us also around 9.5".

I'm having a hard time believing you don't have a little leeway to work with.
Is there a chance you set the tank before installing the toilet?
Can you start over with the tank install and give it a bit of a forward purchase on the flapper port donut?

footfoot29

Reaction score
Ho333ard,

I actually dry fit the base and the tank before installing the was ring. Push the base a far forward as it would allow. The problem was, when i put the gasket on the bottom of the tank. That is when the tank would not seat properly because of being to close to the wall. Plus the tank does have a some what rounded back on it. No i would rather not have a $500 toilet for my weekend ***** games in the basement.

mrf

Reaction score
We are in the process of replacing our Amer Std Cadet. Installed about 6 yrs ago, but if you check the MaP study results (newest version dated 2/06), you will see the elongated Cadet is still next to the bottom of the list! I recommend against it.
Ours sometimes clogs on the paper. Other times it pushes everything just out of sight and then the next person has to plunge, even for only liquid waste. No such thing as a quick trip to this toilet.
We've had other problems with the Cadet as well.
On the plus side, it does rinse the bowl well. And the 'seam' between the 2 pieces is easy to keep clean.

Kohler Wellworth elongated is also poorly rated (MaP report). Not much better than the Cadet. Round apparently works somewhat better, but 10" only comes in elongated.

If you don't mind plunging....

mrf

Reaction score
Took another look at our AS Cadet last night. Part of the reason the seam stays so clean is that the lid of the Bemis (?) toilet seat creates a shield so even even a direct aim will not reach the seam.

Cleaning the seat with lid and area is always a pain, of course, but it's always been, esp around the bolts. I'd like to see the top surface of the toilet contoured more so that one could liberally spray or pour cleaning solution/water on the rear edge of the toilet seat and the excess fluid would drip back into the bowl -- but that's another discussion.

PrescottRecorder

Reaction score
I've successfully installed Toto Carlyles into two bathrooms with 9.5 inch rough-ins. In one the baseboard was tile and therefore pretty thin and the only issue was that the tank lid was a little tight against the wall. In the other the baseboard was standard wood trim with a quarter round moulding at the floor/baseboard. In that case, I had to finesse the trim to get it to work. There wasn't enough room behind the toilet so at the tightest point, there isn't any trim, but it doesn't show so it's my secret.

dinkledoodle

Reaction score
Hello. I found this old thread during a search. My problem is similar. Our rough-in measures 9 1/16" from the tile wall to the center of the flange (there is no baseboard). We are wondering if a Toto Soiree with the 10" Unifit has enough "wiggle room" to fit in that space. We don't have a lot of money and for us, a $600 for a toilet is over the top. It's a little frightening to think it might not fit then forfeit a 25% restocking fee.

So you know, I live in coastal Florida. The house is only level slab on grade. The bathroom has it's original, newly restored, white terrazzo floor, which we don't want to disturb if possible. Moving or modifying the flange is both undesirable and very expensive. Did I mention that we're already over budget?

Thanks in advance if you can offer any comfort or warning regarding the Toto Soiree in this application. Or another option.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Of all the toilet brands mentioned thus far, only the Toto is worth bringing home. Look at Terry's Report on Low Flow Toilets and you will find several options. Granted, options diminish greatly with a 10" rough-in, but there are some.

10" Toto Drake toilets.
They only need 9-1/4" to install.

CST744EF.10 or CST744SF.10

Comfort height, elongated bowl with either the 1.28 gallon Watersense Eco Flush
or the 1.6 gallon G-Max flush.
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744ef.10.pdf

TOTO now has a 10" dual flush at the factory.
I'm bringing some here for the Seattle area.
CST412MF.10

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks