Water pump won't shut off

Users who are viewing this thread

jcs0527

Reaction score
Please help!
If I switch it off it will stay off when I turn it on.
After it kicks on it will not kick off.
I have replaced the pressure switch and the tube to no avail. What else can I do?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What pressure does it make while it is running? While it is running, do you get as much water as you want? If there is a problem and it can't reach the specified high temperature setting, then it will just continue.

Problems could be: leak, ran out of water, bad control not sensing the high pressure turn off. There are probably others I haven't mentioned.

jcs0527

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
What pressure does it make while it is running? While it is running, do you get as much water as you want? If there is a problem and it can't reach the specified high temperature setting, then it will just continue.

Problems could be: leak, ran out of water, bad control not sensing the high pressure turn off. There are probably others I haven't mentioned.

pressure when running is 44
yes we get as much water as we want

no leak
there is water in the cistern
we replaced the entire switch

Please help I need water.. we have three boys and it is getting old going and turning the switch off over and over..

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you checked the gauge?

Is the switch connected correctly? It is easy to get them wrong.

Here are some tests you can do:
1. With the pump off (using the circuit breaker if necessary) and pressure in the tank, check the air pressure in the tank (probably a bladder tank). The pressure should be the same as the pressure on the water side. If not, the water gauge or the tire gauge is in error. If the water gauge is wrong, replace it before moving ahead.

2. Operate the pump to at least 40 psi with all water turned off. Presumably the switch will not turn off (per your problem statement).

3. If the pump doesn't shut off at 40 psi with a reliable gauge, stop the pump. Observe the gauge to see that it is not losing pressure as with a leak or a foot valve failure. If you lose pressure, fix that problem before proceeding.

4. Back off on the pressure switch (the highest nut when you remove the cover, counterclockwise). It should "click" at some point which should be the shutoff pressure (40 psi).

5. Turn on the circuit breaker. The pump should not run.

6. Run some water to drain while observing the pressure gauge. Note the pressure when the pump comes on. That should be about 20 psi if you have not adjusted the "differential" (nut nearest the base in the pressure switch) of the new switch.

7. Shut off the water and observe the pump and pressure. It should pump to shutoff at 40 psi.

8. Adjust the pressure switch safely within the capability of the pump.

9. Check the air pressure in your tank as follows.
a. Turn off the circuit breaker and run water until there is no flow.
b. Check the air pressure in the tank. It should be set at 2 psi LESS than TURN-ON setting of your pressure switch. Adjust the air pressure if necessary.

Most pumps should be able to reach more than 44 psi if it is operating correctly and has enough water in the well. What make and model pump do you have? Is it a shallow well or deep well pump?

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
Which pressure switch did you use? They usually come preset at the factory at 20/40, 30/50 or 40/60. If you installed either of the last two I mentioned, the switch will not cut the pump off because the pressure is too low.
You didn't say what type of pump you have. That indo could be helpful.
Ron

jcs0527

Reaction score
Pumpman said:
Which pressure switch did you use? They usually come preset at the factory at 20/40, 30/50 or 40/60. If you installed either of the last two I mentioned, the switch will not cut the pump off because the pressure is too low.
You didn't say what type of pump you have. That indo could be helpful.
Ron

it is a shallow well flotech pump.
The first pressure switch burnt up because the hose came off and pumped all the water out and then burnt up the contacts. My husband said he did the 20/40 preset...
Does this mean the pump is bad or is their another solution... (btw disregard my last question, hubby knew the answer :cool: )

jcs0527

Reaction score
Not worrying about burning up the switch.. we were worrying about burning up the pump...
Any way If 44 is too much how do I bring it down.?

Speedbump

Reaction score
If the pump is moving water, running steady won't hurt it.

To adjust the switch, click on the link at the bottom of this post.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks