How flat should a toilet bottom be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Joerg

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

Got a Yorkville but it has to head back because of a wee curing crack in the water intake port. I called A/S and they said it's better to get a replacement. Ok, can happen. Anyway, since I wanted to get done with the wall I placed it for a "sanity check". This was quite a surprise.

It's a back discharge commode and the rear bolts would not fit. I had them exactly six point zero inches on center as per spec. Only significant bending of the bolts would have made them go in. So, I measured and found that the holes in the toilet were less than 5-3/4" apart and also smaller than the usual 1/2" wide by 3/4" high. Same for the bottom bolts. Thank God I haven't drilled the tiles yet. The waste outlet was a bit high (I had leveled the floor tiles to exactly 4" as per spec). Also, the toilet rocked a lot, sideways and back. I took great care to have the tile floor perfectly flat, like usual in a bathroom.

Questions:

1. How much maximum wiggle should a toilet exhibit on a perfectly flat floor?

2. Spec sheet distances for the screws: Do they mean anything these days?

Quite frankly, for $280 plus tax (sans tank, of course, which is another $200) I had expected more. All the cheaper toilets I ever placed hardly needed any shims but that was a long time ago and not in the US.

Regards, Joerg.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
A toilet should not move at all on a flat floor.

The toilet bowl should match the specs. Talk to A/S about it and see what they have to say.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks