Pressure to the third bath

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I'm installing a third bathroom in my basement and have a 3\4 inch supply from my well. My inspector agreed to waive the requirement to go to a one inch supply line from my well. Question: Is there anything I can do to increase the water supply/pressure to the third bath without converting to a one inch supply from the well (which would be a real problem)???

Would separate lines to the third bathroom make a difference (as opposed to simply tapping into the other bathroom lines)?

Would converting to one inch supply from the pressure tank make a difference?

Marlin

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What is the gallons/minute recovery rate of your pump and well? Is the intent to have all of the bathrooms showers running at the same time? Your pump might have a big problem with that regardless of the size of the pipe, not counting the hot water requirements. The length of the pipes and their size will determine how much pressure loss there is. What pressure switch are you using now and what kind of pump?

A 1" pipe is 1.77x larger flow, but that doesn't mean your pump can supply thatmuch more flow. It will deliver what you have with maybe higher pressure.

If you've got a flow problem, you could put in a storage tank and an additional pump. Basically keep a bunch of water inside the house,and then use larger pipes and pump to supply the house. Replenish those tanks over time as available.

One of the pros will have some other ideas and can apply some specifics.

marlin

Reaction score
thanks for the response Jim. My intent is only to have a functional 3rd bath and obtain inspector approval. I do not intend to run 3 showers at once. I ran both main showers and one faucet full blast and my pump brought the pressure back up to 73 psi where it is set to shut off. So I think I'm going to be ok. My inspector said it wouldn't make a difference on pressure if I tied into the water supply for the upstair baths or ran new pipes.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In a static system, i.e. no flow, the pressure will for practical purposes be the same throughout (well, it will go down as you go up each floor a little). Maintaining that pressure is dependent on the size of the pipes and the flow rate. Try to suck too much water out of a small pipe, and the friction loss results in lower pressure and flow. So, for a single use branch, 1/2" is okay for most things...but, the more things on at the same time off of that branch, and you could end up with inadequate flow.

When you have the chance, always consider what COULD happen, not what you would do. So, if you have three bathrooms, consider how best to make all of them work at the same time. You might have guests over for the holidays, and everyone is trying to take showers at the same time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks