Hot water puzzle

Users who are viewing this thread

pswillia

Reaction score
Recently, the hot water in one portion of our house has lost its temperature--it's really more lukewarm than anything. There doesn't seem to be a decline in pressure or flow, just temperature.

The temperature does not seem to have decreased in other parts of the house, which are closer to the water heater.

We have a 40-gallon gas water heater that serves the entire house. We have copper plumbing. We have a pier-and-beam house with relatively easy access under the house. I haven't found any leaks. The water heater is about 10 years old and the house is about 50 years old.

I have noticed this problem in the past, but it has never lasted for more than one day--it always seems to have cured itself. But this is going on a week now.

Any thoughts?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Is it in all faucets or just when you take a shower?

Prashster

Reaction score
Where do you live? Is there a correlation between outside temperature and your max hot water temp in that one room?

pswillia

Reaction score
Air temperature is not a problem

I'm in Texas--this has nothing to do with air temperature.

Also, this is in all faucets (sink and shower/tub in two bathrooms).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Got any temperature controlled valves in that branch? Maybe the guts are stuck, mixing the hot and cold. A bad tempering valve? A hot water recirculation system? A bad check valve could mess things up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks