(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Pipe Diameters and sizes?

Default Pipe Diameters and sizes?

Hi, does anyone know of a good place to find the outer and inner diameters of pipe? For example I need to buy some hole saws, but for let's say 2" ABS, what is the outside diameter? As in, what size hole saw would I need? What about for cast iron?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Seach the internet . It is not rocket science, but you need to be aware that you can't just say ' 2" pipe '. There is schedule 40, there is SDR, DWV, ast iron regular and XH. So you will need to have an assortment of bits on hand if you will be working with all these things.

Google is you friend!

The best way to do it is to take a fitting over to the drill bit section and select a bit or in this case a hole saw, that works.

Default size

[QUOTE=chetwynd]Hi, does anyone know of a good place to find the outer and inner diameters of pipe? For example I need to buy some hole saws, but for let's say 2" ABS, what is the outside diameter? As in, what size hole saw would I need? What about for cast iron?

As long as you are concerned about the o.d. of the pipe your task is easier, since that remains somewhat constant, even though the i.d. varies by the class of pipe. You can assume the o.d. to be about 3/8" larger than the pipe size, in most cases, so you would use a hole saw 7/16" to 1/2" larger.

You don't want a tight fit anyway, so don't get too finite about the size.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You don't want it tight for several reasons...it is a bear to insert it, and as it expands and contracts, any tight spots will squeak or creak. It could wear a hole in the pipe as well over time.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014