(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: jet pump problems

Hybrid View

Default jet pump problems

I'm trying to get a jet pump working again after not using it for a few years.
    (I was told that it is a jet pump system...two pipes going out)

I primed the pump and have water pressure of app. 38 psi. at the pump housing. The pump keeps running but the pressure will not build any higher than 38 psi. I have no water going to the pressure tank. The tank has 20 psi. of air pressure. What could be keeping the water from going into the pressure tank?

The tank is a Well Trol WX 102. The only thing between the pump housing and the tank is some sort of valve that is spring loaded. I tried adjusting the valve with no change. Is this what is called a check valve and could it be keeping the water from the pressure tank? Thank you for any help.

Tom...
    Last edited by taf121; 03-24-2006 at 06:20 AM. Reason: to define the problem more clearly.

Previous member

The valve could be a back pressure control. It is used to make the pump work properly. With only 38 psi and no water going into the tank, I would think the valve is shut off completely.

Is this the original pump, or one you just installed?

bob...

This is the original pump. How would I check the valve?

Previous member

It should have a bolt or screw that can be turned out and in. In increases backpressure and out decreases pressure to the jet in the well.

bob...

I just took the valve apart and didnt see anything wrong.
    I then put it back together and backed the bolt all the way out.
    The pressure only increased to 40 psi. What would happen if I eliminated the valve completely?

Previous member

They are necessary on deep set jets. It all depends on your water level. I would leave it in line and while running a lot of water adjust it so the pump stays quiet while running.

bob...