Using the same well for the house and the sprinkler system

Users who are viewing this thread

ts

Reaction score
I have a shallow well (about 75ft deep) which the house water system is connected to. I have a sprinkler system already laid out, all I need is a pump. Can I connect the sprinkler pump to the same line coming in to the house pump.
thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you connecto an irriagation system to potable water (house water, drinking water, ect.) you will need an approved back flow device.

That is for your safety.

Series: 007
Description: Double Check Valve Assemblies
Size Range: 1/2 to 3 in. (15 to 80mm)

Series 007 Double Check Valve Assemblies prevent the backflow of contaminated water into the potable water supply. It consists of a bronze (1/2 to 2 in) or fused epoxy coated cast iron (2 1/2 to 3 in) body construction that is easy to maintain and service. Series 007 is ideal at referenced cross-connections identified as non-health hazard applications. Check with local inspection authorities for installation requirements. Maximum Working Pressure: 175psi (12.06 bar).

http://www.wattsreg.com/

ts

Reaction score
I have a pump that draw water from the well into a holding tank, then another pump with a pressure tank pumps the water thru the softner and the house. When I went to buy the sprinkler, I told the salesman that I would connect this pump to the same line as the current pump which is attached to the well. He said that he never heard of that, he said that if the two pumps comes on at the same time the pressure will drop.
Thanks.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You mean you want to have two pumps pulling from the same suction line. Am I to assume you have two jet pumps now and want to add a third?

bob...

ts

Reaction score
Yes, I will like to have two pumps on the same suction from the well, the current one and this new sprinkler pump I want to buy. The other pump is, I think a jet pump, it has a pressure switch, takes water from the holding tank thru the softner and into the house. The well pump does not have a pressure switch, I don't know what it's call.
thanks

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Two pumps on the same pipe from the well is asking for trouble becuase they will almost certainly have two different characteristics and one will rob the other.

You have a holding tank. Holding tanks are often installed because the well has limited capacity. A better solution, if you want a separate irrigation pump, is as follows.

1. Well pump discharges to the holding tank, using a float switch in the holding tank as control. You should also have some kind of control to prevent the well pump from pumping the well below the inlet, which could damage the well pump.

2. The pump to your house, with suction from the holding tank, can work as is.

3. The irrigation pump can be connected to the holding tank. Since the water is supplied from the tank, the pumps won't "rob" each other. If you have a 2" outlet from the holding tank, you can connect both pumps to that pipe. You should have a full port ball valve on the suction side of each pump to permit one pump to be serviced while the other is still operating.

4. You should have "Safety float switches" in the tank as follows.
a. One at the lowest level from which you want to pump water, to lock out the house pump if the water gets too low. This protects the pump.
b. One at a higher level to prevent the irrigation pump from pumping you out of household water. This should be at a level that you want to maintain as a household reserve; not to be used for irrigation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks