pump leaking, need advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul Baughman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here, hoping you can give me some advice. My well pump has started leaking. When the pump is on, water flows out of it on the motor side. This is an Aermotor half HP OSJ model, that is no longer manufactered, not a submersible pump. The manufacturer suggested a seal has gone bad.

I am not mechanically inclined, so I don't even want to try to repair it myself. Would it be worth it to have it repaired, or should I just replace it? (Yeah, tax refund!)

If I go for the replacement option, I've been trying to find some place that reviews and/or recommends well pumps, preferably an independent organization like Consumer Reports (I couldn't find anything at CR's website). Can anyone point me to such a place? Alternatively, would anyone be willing recommend FOR OR AGAINST any specific brands/models?

I can go to Lowe's and get a Water Ace by Myers, or there is an Ace Hardware that sells Ace brand and Gould's, and a local heating/plumping/AC place that also sells Gould's, plus more shops that I haven't investigated yet. Just as an aside, the Ace HW prices their pumps at $150.00 and the Gould's at $300.00, is that a true indication that the Gould's is that much of a better pump?

I just bought the house two and a half years ago and I really don't know how deep the well is or anything else, but since there is only one pipe going to the well, I assume it isn't a deep well jet pump.

TIA.

Paul.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would not pay someone to fix an obsolete pump.

Goulds is a good pump but you will pay more for it. I have no experience with the Water Ace brand; I am more familiar with the Flotec brand at HD. Go on line at www.grainger.com and look at their shallow well jet pumps. It will at least give you prices for comparison shopping.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/se...t+pump&catindx1=Jet+Pumps&search_type=keyword

See also http://froogle.google.com/froogle?s...2004-27,GGLD:en&q=goulds jet pump&sa=N&tab=wf

You will want to check flow (GPM) versus pressure for any pump you consider. You might consider a 3/4 HP pump if you are going to do any outside watering.

Speedbump

Reaction score
When you go to a big box store, you will not be getting any kind of quality. Stick with a supply company if they will sell to you. Or buy online. There are many good brands (Most owned by two marketing giants) that will work. When you see a difference of $150.00 between two pumps of the same specs, you should be suspicious. The pumps may be the same, but the motor will be much cheaper. Just like Myers and the Water Ace. Same pump (pretty much) different motor. The longevity of the two are night and day different.

bob...

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
I'm with Speedbump on this one.
If you've ever been to a pump factory like Sta-rite, you'll understand why some pumps are half the price of others.
Sta-rite, for instance, also makes Flotec, Craftsman and Teel (Grainger) pumps. However, there is a huge difference in the materials and processes involved. Plus, the cheaper pumps have been downrated. A 1/2 Flotec, is not the same as the 1/2 hp Sta-rite, even though they look the same. Hence the price and quality spread.
Stay away from any pump that has a "Euro" style motor on it. These motors are not "off the shelf", that is, they're not replacable with a standard motor.
Ron

Paul Baughman

Reaction score
Pumpman said:
Stay away from any pump that has a "Euro" style motor on it. These motors are not "off the shelf", that is, they're not replacable with a standard motor.
Ron

What does a "euro" style motor look like? How would I tell?

TIA.

Paul.

Speedbump

Reaction score
They are physically a little smaller than a US motor. They usually have a plastic box on top that contains a run capacitor, a switch for selecting voltage and they are TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled) they have fins for cooling and a fan on the back end under the end cover.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks