Inserting a Qest tee

Users who are viewing this thread

obrienj

Reaction score
I need to tap a 3/4" copper water pipe. Since my copper soldering skills are limited and I fear for the large bits of wood near the point of the tap, I am considering a Qest tee.

However, it would appear that moving the existing pipe laterally (after cutting out a section) so that I can slip the tee into place will be difficlut if not impossible.

Any sugggestions as how to proceed?

Jim

Prashster

Reaction score
Unfasten the straps holding the main line against the joists within 5-10 feet of the joint.
If that still doesn't give you enough play, you may have to cut a larger section of pipe out, and get a hubless coupler, which allows you to slide the end all the way onto one section of pipe, then position the new piece, then slide it back to cover the gap. The downside is that you gotta eyeball it to make sure the hubless coupling has good coverage on both sides.

A normal coupler has a tiny little ridge 1/2 way in so that each pipe can be precisely fitted.

So, you'd basically cut out a 6" piece of the main pipe. Then solder on the ground a 5" piece into a tee. Slip the hubless connector unsoldered all the way onto the other end of the madeup piece. Slip the tee end of this madeup piece onto the joint. Slide the hubless coupler back over the gap. Solder everything.

Of course, prep and clean everything properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks