Plumbing pedestal sink under floor

Users who are viewing this thread

llt01

Reaction score
I am ready to install a pedestal sink in my dpwnstairs bathroom. It seems to be easier if I were to plumb the main drain down through the floor and then install the p-trap and additional piping to the main line (unlimited access). Is this legal or should I try to pipe the p-trap above the floor?

Last edited:

llt01

Reaction score
Please correct me if i'm wrong. Doesn't a P-trap come down vertical from the drain then form a 180 deg loop up then elbow 90 deg to a horizontal run? This is what I would like to do, if I can. Is there a specific measurement the P-trap needs to be from the sink's drain?

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
No it would then go through the floor and be re-plumbed to a different place.
Yes it goes horizontal then.......

Prashster

Reaction score
I don't think you should do what you're proposing. I understand from your original post that you want to install a standard p trap - you just want that trap to be below the floor, instead of a few inches under the sink.
Codes dictate that the trap be located no greater than a certain distance (I think it's 24").

I haven't found a technical reason for this, but I *believe* it has to do with the fact that water falling from a greater height might push the water out of the trap.

llt01

Reaction score
Please See Attached File

Attachments

• PLUMBING2.bmp
    15.8 KB · Views: 508

Casman

Reaction score
I believe prashter is correct there is a max length to the vertical drop and I think its to prevent water due to its drop from being pulled out of the trap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

you cannot do it with the trap under the floor. Even if you could you would still need a vent. Installing the "P" trap above the floor, the way you describe would create an "S" trap out of the "P" trap. You could create a serious drainage, and odor, problem if the pipe from the drain to the trap were that long.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks