Preventing mineral deposits-siphon jets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have 2 new toilets: TOTO Aquia and Kohler Memoirs.
The two outgoing toilets were badly blocked with mineral deposits.

Is there any preventive measures I can take to stop/slow down this process
in the new units. Our water is about as hard as it gets. It's not in my budget to get a water softener right now.

Can I just spray the jets with CLR or......??

note: I am using the Clorox with Teflon cleaner.

Mike50

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A gallon of white vinegar from Costco is inexpensive. Two or three times a year, puor turn off the water and pour a gallon into the flush vavle opening. Let it stand for an hour, then resume normal operation. There are also stronger acid toilet bowl cleaners available.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Wow. I'd call that tip of the Tip du jour.. simple. outstanding. Now here's my tip. thanks..

Buy gallons-add some blue dye and sell it for 14.95 as Jimbos mineral blaster. :D

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
More food for thought. Some peoples body chemistry is such that they have a lot of calcium or lime in their urine and over a period of time and not flushing regularly, those ports below the water line of the toilet bowl will plug up, causing the toilet to flush lazily, or not at all.

I'd say flush every time..........

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks