Bathtub Faucet Maintenance

Users who are viewing this thread

smarshal

Reaction score
Hello, I was attempting to clean and re-caulk two bathtub faucets, when I ran into a problem. After removing the faucet and cleaning the old caulk, I decided to check for leaks. When I started the water, a leak began near the hex nut that secures a plastic sleeve to the copper pipe stem. This happend on both faucets. Is a small drip from this hex nut normal? If not, how can I fix it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Last edited:

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Small Drips

This is a prejudicial statement against the vertically challenged and you should desist in your thinking. Also tighten the nut which is the stem packing nut. It seals around the stem.

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hex Nut Leak

gerberstem1_small.jpg

Tightening the hex nut will most likely stop the leak although the handle(s) may become tight to turn. On rare occasion, the valve stem packing needs to be replaced under the nut, a plumbing supply house will stock it.

LonnythePlumber

Reaction score
Dripping

Dripping Single Handle Shower Faucet posted below. It turns out to be a Crane faucet and the poster sent good pictures which tormented me trying to remember. Do you recognize it from the pictures hj?.

LonnythePlumber

Reaction score
Insides Different

The insides of that Crane faucet don't look like a Moen. I used to carry a Crane Dial-eze faucet repair kit. Not in the last twenty years though. Do You hj?

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The poster identified it

LonnythePlumber said:
e you are so good with pictures. How about identifying the shower faucet from the other post?

When the poster stated another faucet in the other bathroom was the same exact handle design and it had "Crane" on it, he figured it out himself.
Here, Crane plumbing fixtures (toilets & lavs.) are common, not faucets.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
crane

Yes, I still have my Dial-eze kit. In fact I had to use it a couple of weeks ago for the first time in years. When I was in Chicago, Crane was a big supplier, especially since we could go direct to the company and get items.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks