Opinions/advice on TACO Dmand recirc system

Users who are viewing this thread

Jrejre

Reaction score
I am thinking about putting in a couple of the TACO Dmand recirc systems at the ends of the long runs in my home. It's a 2 level house plus basement. They have a 1/40th 1/25th and 1/8th hp offer. I would guess the run in about 70 feet using 1/2" pipe for most the run.

Any advice on what size pump to buy? Or any suggestions at all on this product?

I noticed on the Taco web site that in January they started offering a motion sensor in addition to the button or remote control. That's perfect for my application.

Also, any good on-line sources? I found Blue Ridge company on-line, but have never done business with them so am indifferent if there are other good sources.

Thanks, John

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
70' of 1/2" pipe holds about 157 cubic inches, or about 0.675 gallons.

A pump with a capacity of just 5 GPM for example should give you warm water in well under a minute.

Jrejre

Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo. What I can't seem to find is the spec on how much each HP pump moves/min. It would seem that the small pump would be ok, but I don't want to wait long for the water to circulate.

Also, if anyone has installed these, how noisy are they? Do I need to provide any sound insulation under or around it? My sweetie likes the idea, but if it's noisy, I'll hear about it every day till the pump dies :p

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The Grundfos Comfort system performs the same function, but the pump is located at the WH. The only thing under the sink is a crossover valve.

If you are looking at the Metlund D'Mand system which uses TACO pumps, here are the specs:

Metlund S-50 uses Taco 006 ( 8 GPM @ 10' head)
Metlund S-70T uses Taco 008 (14 GPM @ 16' head)
Metlund S-02 uses Taco oo11 (28 GPM @ 30'head)

Last edited:

Jrejre

Reaction score
I will consider the Grudfos system too. Probably lower cost since I have 2 runs I need to cover. That would only require 1 pump, but 2 crossovers rather than 2 D'mand pumps.

I still am intrigued by the D'mand system (see http://www.taco-hvac.com/en/products.html?current_category=59 ) because it will only circ if you hit a button, or a motion sensor is triggered. It can also be constant cycle, but that would not be a usual installation. That seems to be more expensive for the initial install, but lower lifetime cost than the Grudfos which keeps the water hot by cycling on a time schedule..

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
I've recently installed the Grundfos system and I am happy with its performance. Don't expect instantaneous hot water. It still takes maybe 5 seconds or so at my house to get warm water out of the faucet. It is an improvement however since it used to take maybe 30 -40 seconds to get the same before the Grundfos installation.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Redi-temp unit works similarly to the d-mand one, except that it has a user adjustable thermostat to set the desired hot water temp. For most instances, I keep mine at the minimum level. You can use a timer, a switch, or pretty much anything you can plug into it to adjust when it runs, or just by pass all of that and let it run entirely based on the thermostat. It was a snap to install since I planned a plug for it when I did my remodel. That is one disadvantage shared with the d-mand system, you need a power source (typically in the vanity) near the location...the Grundfos system being near the hwh gives you more flexibility in powering the thing.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Using approriate off the shelf controls, you could make any pump like the Grundfos or others operate by pushbutton remote control.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Chilipepper works

I installed one in the kitchen last night and it works as advertised. A little noisy, but not objectionable. I'm getting another one for the master bath, at the other end of the house. There's some residual hot water left in the cold-water side, which shouldn't matter in the bath, and if you have cold water available at the refrigerator it's no big deal in the kitchen either.

Last edited:

JerrySprague

Reaction score
I have used taco,lainge,and the grundfos comfort series pumps. The grundfos I feel is a far more superior pump, you can add crossovers to other parts of the house without having to buy more pumps. lainge and taco tend to break down within a year or two. A grundfos with a timer is a good dependable system. Metland is pricey and is only good at one point of use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks