never stopping water pump question

Users who are viewing this thread

ctutuncu

Reaction score
Hi there,

My question is about a never stopping water pump. What we have in our house are a hydropneumatic water tank (says Mark IV on it) and a pressure switch (says Pumptrol D Square D Company Class 9013 Ser B on 20 off 40).

Our pump never stops working so I end up having to turn the power off whenever I see the pressure reaching 50. I tried to adjust the switch after reading what was previously posted on the Forum. I emptied all the water in the tank, pumped air from the valve on top of the vertical tank using a bicycle pump. I made sure to pump in 28PSI as instructed on the water tank. Then turned the power on. When the pressure reached 50, I turned the power off and started adjusting the large spring nut CCW hoping that the contacts on the switch would get released. Although I go all the way to release the spring coil completely the contacts do not snap back. When I push the plates apart using a plyer the contacts get released, so it makes me wonder whether there is not enough pressure on the diaphragm to push the plate against the spring.

My questions are:
1) Does all that mean that the pressure switch is gone bad?
2) Given that the Tank instructs to pump 28PSI (which should be 2 less than the cutting point of 30PSI) and given that the switch is marked 20-40, am I better of buying a 30-50 switch if I need to buy a new one? Or is it OK to push the 20-40 switch to work 30-50?

Thanking all in advance.

jon

Last edited:

Hube

Reaction score
Your best to buy a new 30/50 Square d 9013 switch and start from scratch.
Turn off power to pump, etc, install switch,open drain valve on pressure tank, drain pressure tank,close drain valve, adjust air to 2 psi below cut in.(28).
Turn power on, check cut out and cut in settings, adjust as per switch directions.... enjoy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks