Leaking Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
I have a bathroom faucet that drips at the spout and leaks at the stem. The faucet is manufactured by Artistic Brass who are no longer in business. Below is a picture of the "guts" of the faucet. Can this assembly be repaired? For the life of me I can't see any way of tearing this assembly apart to replace the packing or o-ring or whatever it has in it. Appreciate any advice on this!

Thanks,

Jerry

Attachments

• Faucet - Internals.jpg
    Faucet - Internals.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 897

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Thank you hj. I'll initiate a search. If I can't find anything, is it correct for me to assume that the existing cartridge cannot be further disassembled and is therefore not repairable?

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Just checked the Price Pfister website. They have pictures and dimensional information on all their cartridges. Unfortunately nothing matched exactly to the cartridge that I have. So it's back to the drawing board.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Ceramic disc cartridges are considered non-repairable. Take the stem to a large plumbing supply house to find a replacement. Also start shopping for a new faucet, because this is where you may be headed.

I tried some google searches and it does not look promising, but spend some time with more searching; you might get lucky.

For other readers, this is the reason there is always a unanimous chorus of votes against choosing the "designer" brands of plumbing fixtures. They look good, they talk a good story, but 10 or 15 years down the line, you are on the internet looking for help and getting blank stares! Do a little google on Broadway faucets and see what you get!

Last edited:

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks jimbo. I bought this "designer" faucet about 14 years ago and at the time style seemed more important then long term realities. I've learned my lesson now, and in the future will certainly stay with major brands.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stem

For now, I will stick with my original statement. I don't have your dimensions, but I had a Price Pfister stem in my hands earlier this morning that looked exactly the way I remembered your picture, right down to the red rubber disc at the bottom. Unfortunately, I was moving things around, and cannot find it to compare it at this time. Take your stem to HD and compare it to an actual Price Pfister ceramic lavatory stem.

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks hj. Just so happened that I was at HD this morning for a different reason, and was actually surprised at the number of Price Pfister faucet cartridges that they had on display. Unfortunately none matched what I had. Going back to the information on the Price Pfister website, the cartridge that looks similar to mine is the 910-900, however mine has a longer stem and a few other details seem a bit different. It is possible that the website only shows cartridges for faucets manufactured after a certain date and does not cover mine. There are two more HD stores in my area so I'll visit them and see what I can find.

Thanks again,

Jerry

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stem

If everything else is the same, i.e., the body threads and handle splines, then PP makes stem extensions that should make it the same as your existing one.

Producer

Reaction score
Use Danco bottom seal part # 89035 for leaking Price Pfister 900-910

You have what appears to be a Price Pfister 900-910 stem - it has a bottom seal (the red washer shown in the initial picture) that eventually wears out (mine took 13 years) and the water gets by and drips out the spout. You won't find it in any Price Pfister parts catalog.

After much research, I found that Danco Bottom Seal # 89035 (available at Lowe's - less than $2 for two seals) will work -

the valve is a bit stiff afterward, since the seal sits between between the fixture body and the valve stem - and it presses on the ceramic discs. But no big deal - the valve works find - end of drip.

or you can go out and buy a new stem for $12-$15 just to get the new bottom seal

JK60

Engineer
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info. I will check it out at Lowe's. You are absolutely right that it is the bottom seal that is leaking. I replaced the seal awhile back with a generic seal from a hardware store (had to trim it a bit to fit), and it stopped the leak. It is good to know that a replacement is available. Again thanks for the info.

Asktom

Reaction score
The Lasco part number for your cartridge is S-462. Plumbmaster is 08785 (hot), 08786 (cold). Plumbmaster is R1805. You should be able to find a vendor that deals with one of these sources.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks