Sealing roof jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Chetwynd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi,

The project I'm working on is actually electrical, but the same question applies. I have a piece of galvanized 3/4" pipe going down into a roof jack on a garage. Right now it's sealed with some kind of tar or putty or something that looks like it's been there forever. I need to replace the piece of galvanized pipe, and will then have to reseal where the pipe goes down into the roofjack. What should I use? 20mil tape?

Talk to me fellas!

THANKS!

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Just in case you didn't already know, you should use rigid conduit instead of plumbing pipe for electrical.

Of course, that has nothing to do with sealing the roof penetration...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only real difference is that electical conduit has a straight thread, but I do NOT think electrical nipples are any different than plumbing ones.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Electrical conduit is deburred, both at the threaded ends and internally. That is most emphatically not the case with the plumbing nipples sold
most places, which could easily damage wiring pulled thru them. It is a big deal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks