new pre-soldered copper fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Richnj

Reaction score
Has anyone tryed those new-fangled pre-soldered copper fittings that the home centers are selling now, the ones with the ridges on each end. There almost twice the price of a standard fitting. The manufacturer says that they save time and are less expensive to use since you dont need the 3.5 inches of solder per joint. And you dont clean them. If anyone has used them please comment. - Richnj

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have seen them at HD and tried a few. They were the about same price as the others. They contain less copper so shouldn't be much more expensive.

I didn't find them any improvement over standard fittings if you have good soldering technique. I found that the Oatey No. 95 flux with self tinning is very good and minimizes leaks.

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
Don't like anything about the concept! Another one stop shop... I like taking my time and doing things right, and since I feel like those fittings are providing short cuts I won't even try them :)

Is that being too rigid and narrow minded? Is it defying the new in favour of the old? Not sure, but I like sticking with what I know...

Prashster

Reaction score
I prefer the manual method.
The pre-soldereds don't give me enough of a bead for my own peace-of-mind.
The few times I've used them, I've always fed extra solder into the joint.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This has been discussed in the past. About the only time there might be reason to consider using one or two is if the fitting had to be installed in a very cramped location where it would be difficult to reach to apply solder to a conventional fitting. Personally, I'd find a way to get the solder to it anyway.

TurokCStyle

Reaction score
I don't trust it

I am definately an amature when it comes to plumbing so I'm assuming that's who they are trying to target with these but I was not very confident that it was a good idea. Just seems like something that you would hear about 5yrs down the road.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
#1 Anyone needing to use 3.5" of solder to do a joint doesn't know how to solder.

#2 A waste of $$$$

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks