Drain location problem-- need creative solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Ho333ard

Reaction score
I'm at the last hurdle of getting my bathroom up and running.
Problem: There is a very clear place where the pedestal sink needs to be. 1/2" in either direction causes problems and just won't work.
Unfortunately the drain pipe in the wall doesn't line up with the hollow of the pedestal, and even worse there is only about 2 1/2" between the back edge of the pedestal and the end of the drain stub, making a flexible pipe solution not really viable because there's just not clearance to jog and then jog back again.
Anyone know what to do about this?
Thx . . .

drainproblem.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Unfortuately, you have gone too far in the remodel. There is no good solution, other than moving the sink or opening the wall and relocating the drain. I may be a bonus that the flexible drain did not work, since they are illegal and cause their own problems.

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
Move the pedastal.
Get a cabinet.
Get a new pedestal that is a lot wider.
Tear out the wall and line it up correctly.
There's four solutions.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Creative Solutions

You have too much stuff in too little space.

Creative Solutions:
1. Pipe it through the floor to where the bath tub drains.
2. Get a nice chromed spout, or some plastic tubing, or whatever is esthetically pleasing to you, and drain the sink, untrapped, over into the bathtub on the left.
3. Try to construct a "do-it-yourself" P-trap by coming out of the wall fitting with a street el that points down and left toward the center of the pedestal, and then turns up with two more street els or els as will fit to line up with the tail piece of the sink. I would use about 6" of pipe in the down leg so it will be fairly vertical. Use the smallest pipe available that meets code. If you need more space you might be able to take the coupling off the wall and "hard pipe" to where it connects to the tail piece of the sink drain. With the pedestal sink, you should be able to make the final connection by lowering the sink onto the connection.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
How about no creative solutions, as they are all make-shift and not code-worthy.

It will be by far easier to simply remove the wainscoating/paneling and properly relocate the the waters and waste so they are centered on the pedestal.

Also be sure that your drain stubbing out of the wall is high enough. Several pedestals have a void to accept the p-trap. Do a mock-up with what you have there and double check your measurements. Keep your water lines at least 3" above the drain.

The waters can also be hid behind the pedestal if you stub them out at 4" or maybe even 6" centers.

This would also be a prime time to ensure that you have proper backing in place for the sink. Almost all of the box-store pedi-lavs come sans sink mounting brackets, so make sure you have them in your install. Every pedestal lav I install essentially becomes a wall hung sink with a skirt; meaning that the sink is securely fastented to the building structure and only slightly resting on the pedestal. This is a safety/durability issue. All it takes is someone slipping on their way out of the tub and grabbing the closest thing, only to have it come down on top of them.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is what you don't want to hear, but there's no way to work around and fix your problem other than tear out and do it right. We DIYers, and I'm one too, sometimes overlook potential problems until we get too far into a job, and I think that's what happened to you.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
How about a 1 1/4" FPT-to-Socket elbow? The FPT side will connect to your ''marvel connector'' then you can get behind the hallowed out section and adapt from there?

Move sink, Cut hole in wall. Cut PVC w/ hacksaw. Slide on some couplers (get some w/o the ''nub'' and angle it 45 to get under the hallowed out section. Patch wall. Replace Sink.

Get small bucket for underneith

Use different sink

Cut notch in sink base and get a skirt to go around the base of the sink.

Ideas, maybe they'll work or give you some of your own.

Good luck
Jason

Ho333ard

Reaction score
This is all great advice. I'll keep coming back to it.
I'm going to start with the mock-up. Tearing open the wall and moving stuff is way harder for me than for you guys-- I paid someone to do most of this and there are a lot of skills and tools I don't have.
I may be overestimating the tightness of the space.
Not really that concerned with how it looks-- I wanted an element of "old urban bathroom" and not the pure "House and Garden" look-- a little visible pipe is not a minus.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you can move the sink to the drain stub and dont mind the looks of the water lines that is your best solution

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Checjk the advice from BOB NH and LAKE and you will see some of the ways you should NOT do it. Do you want the rustic, "This was done by a farmer" look, or something that you can point to and say, "I did this my self", and not have people laugh out loud?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks